Searching within custom field of type Text Field (single line)

Britton Powers January 9, 2020

We have two custom fields both of type Text Field (single line).

For one of them, called "Service Level Note", I can search within the text. But not for the other one, called "Web Page".

Example:

I set up an issue with this text in both fields: this is a test 123

Doing a basic search, and selecting the "Service Level Note" field and entering test, it finds this issue. When I look in Advanced Search to see how the search was written, it is using the "~" operator.

Doing a basic search, and selecting the "Web Page" field and entering test, it doesn't find anything. It finds the issue only if I enter a complete exact match for what's in the field. When I look in Advanced Search to see how the search was written, it is using the "=" operator. And if I try to change it to the "~" operator there in the Advanced Search screen, it tells me this field doesn't support the ~ operator.

Since they are both the same kind of field, what else could be different about them that allows us to search within one of them but not the other?

I do know one of them was created back when we were on Jira 7 and the second field was created after an upgrade to Jira 8. But I would doubt that's the reason I did a full re-index (where it locks Jira during the re-index) but did not see any change afterwards. What else should I check? Thanks!

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Ansar Rezaei
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 9, 2020

Hi

Each field has a renderer and it maybe related to it, go to custom fields list, find them and click on Edit link(Not configure!) and check if both of them has same renderer or not.

Britton Powers January 9, 2020

Thank you ever so much!

Like Ansar Rezaei likes this

Suggest an answer