Searching issues from only one open sprint when there are multiple open

Janne Tikkaoja December 11, 2019

We have a project with two teams (lets call these Team1 and Team2) and therefore two open sprints (we'll call these Team1SprintX and Team2SprintX, where X is a running number for each team) at any given time.

When I want to search for issues on active sprint for only Team1 I use sprint in openSprints() and sprint = "Team1Sprint", which basically returns the issues nicely.

But when tasks are passed from one team to another, things get difficult. If, for example, task has been on Team1's sprint Team1Sprint1, the sprint was closed and Team2 continues the work on their Team2Sprint2, the above query returns also this task, since it is on open sprint and list of sprint names contains Team1Sprint.

As I understand there is no option to search only the active sprint by its name (or part of it) and no possibility to use substrings, how should this be solved?

And to clarify, I don't want to explicitly use the sprint id, because I'm using this on a board that we use from one sprint to another.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Warren
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 11, 2019

Hi @Janne Tikkaoja 

I think that you need to consider using a different field to differentiate between the 2 teams. We (and other people) typically use the label field or the component field for that.

So, let's say you use component, you will set them up as Team1 and Team2. You can then use a filter such as 

Sprint in openSprints() AND component="Team1"

This doesn't require any change when you're on the next sprint, so would seem to solve your problem.

Janne Tikkaoja December 11, 2019

This sounds like something to consider. Thanks!

Warren
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 11, 2019

I should have said that it does rely on every issue being "tagged" with the correct component (or label), otherwise you will not be seeing everything you're expecting.

Suggest an answer