Searching for short text does not return results

Meytal BM
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 18, 2021

Hi, I havea. text-field (read-only). One of the values in the text field is "IS". When i try to search for that in the Issue Navigator, it does NOT return results, yet I do know for a fact it is there in the field value.

I am not sure why this is,  but could it be because it is only 2 chars search?

I searched for some answers and the only thing i could find is about stemming, which i have no clue if that is actually the reason why it doesnt return results.

This is my JQL

project in (ABCDE) AND "Department[Short text]" ~ "IS"

Any thoughts?

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Daniel Turczanski - __JQL Search Extensions
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 24, 2021

Hi @Meytal BM  ,

As Piotr has pointed out, standard JQL doesn't easily allow to search for a text with special phrases.

You may consider using our professional indexing service:

After you install the app you can simply search:

issue in wildcardMatch("Department[Short text]", "*IS*")

Check out the docs for more information.

I hope this helps!
Daniel

Meytal BM
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 24, 2021

@Daniel Turczanski - __JQL Search Extensions  works like a charm! thank you

Btw, i already use this addon, so didnt know i could do that.

Daniel Turczanski - __JQL Search Extensions
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 24, 2021

Ah yes, hi! 👋 Glad to see you in the forum :)

Like Meytal BM likes this
0 votes
Mahuza Menza September 15, 2021

let me share my knowledge.
A search index contains specific words and special characters based on the indexing language used.

0 votes
Piotr Zadrożny _Eyzee_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 19, 2021

Hi @Meytal BM 

Word IS is one of Reserved words and as such is ignored from the search index. You can read about this here in section Reserved words.

You can make Jira Cloud find issues based on the presence of these reserved words by changing the Indexing Language to Other (under Administration > System > General Configuration).

Best regards,

Piotr

Meytal BM
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 19, 2021

Thanks @Piotr Zadrożny _Eyzee_ . If i change the configuration to "Other", what is the downside/impact of it? I want to know what i need to take into consideration if i change it to Other. thanks again

Piotr Zadrożny _Eyzee_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 19, 2021

Indexing language is responsible for how specific words and special characters are stored in the search index.

I'm not sure, but the only impact I see is the way text searches in JQL will work (for example fuzzy searches or word stemming may not work properly). After changing the language, the index will probably rebuilt itself. We do not lose any data but may notice in some circumstances decrease of text searches quality. You can always change back to English if you notice any problems.

Suggest an answer