Searching for letters within fields in JIRA

Alex Drummond December 20, 2012

Hi there,

I have imported a bunch of tickets and need to be able to filter them depending on a reference code field. I have setup this field and some examples below are :

<colgroup><col width="241"> </colgroup>
BR-EA-O2C-P-IT-020
BR-O2C-LM-BR-022
BR-O2C-LM-RE-050
BR-EA-O2C-LM-BR-070
BR-EA-O2C-MI-IT-025
BR-O2C-OM-CA-BR-022
BR-O2C-OM-CA-RG-010
BR-EA-O2C-OM-CA-BR-031
BR-O2C-OM-TO-BR-030

The issue that i have is generating filters based on these codes, for example i want to list all tickets which contain EA in the reference, or all tickets which include OM etc etc. However i can not get this to work.

My generic query is as follows :

project = SPD AND issuetype = "Business Requirement" AND "BRD Reference" ~ "EA*"

This query works just fine for EA, however if i replace it with OM then i get no results (i know there are a few hundred) the same with O2C, again no results when i know there are plenty. However it does work for EA, MDM and CA.

I've tried adding an escaped '-' (ie //-) however it still doesn't work.

Is there anything else i can do? Is this a limitation due to the special character, or the fact that the codes are a long string?

Thanks,

Alex

1 answer

0 votes
dleng
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 20, 2012

May I know which custom field did you use to implement the reference code field?
As far as I know, the following custom fields types should work just fine with what you're searching for:

Free Text Field (unlimited text)

Text Field (< 255 characters)

Read-only Text Field

Alex Drummond December 20, 2012

Hi Daniel,

I used the Text Field (<255 characters) with a Free Text Searcher Search Template.

Suggest an answer