Searching for Text Within Activity History

Andy_Wachter May 5, 2020

I am trying to search for specific text within the Activity --> History --> New Value field.  Is there any way to do this?

1 answer

0 votes
Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 6, 2020

Hello @Andy_Wachter ,

There is not a front end option for searching for text in the issue history items other than manually reviewing the content.

Using JQL the issue history items can be searched at varying levels, using historical search operators like a "Was in" operator.  One example if you want to know what issues were in fixversion 1.0 but was removed from version 1.0 then changed to include fix version 2.0, you could use the JQL:

fixVersion was in (1.0) and fixversion in (2.0)

this would be referenced in the issue history as:

Screen Shot 2020-05-06 at 2.18.53 PM.png

A full referance to the JQL and options avaliable can be viewed at the following links:

But a follow up question for you would be what items are you looking to find from the issue history items?  Let me know and i can take a look to see if i can help you define the desired criteria.

Alternatively  you can also pull issue history data data using the API and get additional details doing a "?expand=changelog" option to various endpoints that return issue data.  As an example on this one using the same jql mentioned above and adding in the changelog expansion you could do something like:

curl -D- -u user@email.com:<API_TOKEN> -X GET -H "X-Atlassian-Token: no-check" https://base_url.atlassian.net/rest/api/2/search??jql=fixVersion%20was%20in%20%20(1.0)%20and%20fixversion%20in%20(2.0)&expand=changelog

Details on the API endpoint for search can be viewed here:

and the Fix Version change history item would be returned in the data set as:

Screen Shot 2020-05-06 at 2.21.12 PM.png

Regards,
Earl

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders