Search by attachment name

Deleted user May 8, 2012

Hi

Is it possible in any way to be able to search attachment names, like for example "project = Testing AND attachmentname IN "Tech" "

I've noticed that it is not possible out of the box. Is that because Jira tracks attachment relations to issues in a separate table which is not search-indexed?

6 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Deleted user May 9, 2012

Ok, just how I imagined it to be. Thanks for that link. I found this plug that, according to the comments, seem to work with Jira 4.4

https://plugins.atlassian.com/plugins/de.phil.jira.plugin

Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 9, 2012

Glad you found out the plugin. I convert the comment to an answer, so if it works you can mark it.

Cheers.

7 votes
Vadim Rutkevich
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 23, 2020

Hey All!

You can try Find Attachments for Jira Cloud. It allows you to search for attachments by file name, file format, and uploader in issues.

It's very quick and easy to use to find attachments in your Jira tasks.

Feel free to reach me at vrutkevich@stiltsoft.com, if you have any questions or feedback.

Thanks.

Sincerely, Vadim

5 votes
Scott Welker February 14, 2017

Can anyone provide a useful answer that does not rely on plugins or administrative or SQL database access that most users simply will not have? 

Jurgen Sërbo June 19, 2017

Have u found any solution ?

Scott Welker July 6, 2018

Hi Jurgen, my solution was to stop using Atlassian products.

For me and my clients buying yet another plug-in is just not a workable solution. This is Atlassian's answer for far too many fundamental issues that go unaddressed for years.

Like # people like this
Bartosz Banaszak January 7, 2019

Can I ask what alternate solution do your organization selected over atlassian Jira?

We are having the same never ending problems in which there is no simple solution,

plus plugin instalation is not allowed in organization.

Darrel Lee April 24, 2023

Hello from the future.   It looks like this still isn't a feature.

My workaround, which isn't too horrible.  Is to execute a query to get me in the ballpark of where the attachment could be then use the XML export to save the results of the query to a file.  Then you can search the XML with grep or your editor.   Each issue is an item in the XML and each item has an attachments segment listing the attachments.

You can retrieve the attachment by id with the REST API.

No plugins required.   I'm using JIRA server v8.13.24

2 votes
Piotr Bojko January 15, 2013

Check this add-on : https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/pl.craftware.jira.search-attachments-plugin

It can do following queries:

• issue in havingAttachments()
  • issue in havingAttachments("search text")
  • issue in havingAttachments("type:pdf")
  • issue in havingAttachments("name:workflow type:png")
  • any mix of above

It can search across pdf, office docs (ms/open/libe) and so on - it uses extractors for this formats.

Hua Soon SIM _Akeles_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 5, 2017

We have added UI support for Craftware JIRA Search Attachment.

Check out our guide on How to search attachments by filename or extension at https://akeles.jira.com/wiki/display/CANNED/How+to+search+attachments+by+filename+or+extension if you are interested.

0 votes
Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 8, 2012

Hi,

It's not possible on JQL query, but I found this documentation that explains how to do it in a SQL query, not sure if that will be what you need.

KP11
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 14, 2013

Do you have Oracle query samples anywhere?

0 votes
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 8, 2012
Hi, there is a plugin for that: https://plugins.atlassian.com/plugins/de.phil.jira.plugin Best regards Thomas

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events