Search buttons for status of a workflow

Samir Freelance
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 21, 2011

I would like to add buttons on the left pannel to filter my search and to make it easy for user and project manager or whoever
searching for a status of an issue

In my workflow there is step1,step2,step3,step4,step5
I wish to make 5 buttons :
button1 to search for status or step1 to check all the issues in work in progress step for example
button2 to search for status or step2 to check all the issues in Trans Requires Functional Design step
button3 to search for status or step3 to check all the issues in Coding done ,Request Tagged "Acceptance Pending" step
button4 to search for status or step4 to check all the issues in Coding Started
button5 to search for status or step5 ...

thanks for any help or any suggestion

3 answers

0 votes
Samir Freelance
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 26, 2011

@Renjith V

Yes it s the case of favorite filter please check my lates post man

I am getting close to this solution only if I know how to add automaticly the favorite filters

relates links are here:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-15841?focusedCommentId=164089&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-164089

and my post here:

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/4243/how-to-add-automaticly-favorite-filters

0 votes
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 25, 2011

Samir: Isn't this a straight case of a filter for all the issues and put a pie chart with the status in a Jira dashboard and sharing that dashboard?

Samir Freelance
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 26, 2011

Yes it is the case of favorite filters

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 21, 2011

The "simple search" panel already has functions to allow selection by status, so adding buttons there is needless duplication. (Or, you might want to just throw it away completely and write your own way of doing it less flexibly)

If you want to add panels like this in other places, it's not too difficult. I would advise against doing it globally - all you're doing is making a complex interface even more complex, but I'd see no problem with

1. Define 5 searches, either save them, or get the urls. Wrap them into a bit of html to make them pretty, wrap it into a dashboard gadget, share it and ask your users to add it to their dashboards.
  2. You could add your filters to the project header "preset filters" list using a web-fragment
  3. If you must add a panel, then you'll need some code. Atlassian's Confluence seems to be having problems at the moment - you need to refer to the "plugin guide" for writing new web-modules to provide it, but their system is saying my bookmarked link isn't there, even though searching for it returns it on a list...

Samir Freelance
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 21, 2011

lmmmm panels will be great ..I need sometime to try your solution before i mark it as answered

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 21, 2011

Looks like Atlassian have been reorganising their Confluence - the page I was looking for is back - http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRADEV/Web+Panel+Plugin+Module - I'm not sure that's exactly what you need for my 3rd suggestion, but I think it's close.

Samir Freelance
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 24, 2011

Thanks for the valuable information that you provided ..

Web Panel plugin modules are available in JIRA 4.4 and later. I am using Jira 4.3

I will try to solve and get back to you asap

Samir Freelance
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 25, 2011

Hello Nic,

I would like to try step 1 and 2 that you mentioned

1. Define 5 searches, either save them, or get the urls. Wrap them into a bit of html to make them pretty, wrap it into a dashboard gadget, share it and ask your users to add it to their dashboards.
  2. You could add your filters to the project header "preset filters" list using a web-fragment

how to wrap them?

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 25, 2011

JIRA has had the benefit of actual UI/UX designers. I would stop trying to second-guess what you think the users actually want and ask them. In the event you get all this work you will just end up with something ugly, confusing and unmaintable.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 25, 2011

>how to wrap them?

In the html/vm you have to put in to enable the panel - that should be obvious!

I also should say I totally agre with Jamie - I hinted at it in my original answer, but I worry that you're wasting a lot of time making things more complex and less flexible by adding duplication that you'll almost certainly find your users don't actually care about or even want.

Samir Freelance
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 25, 2011

Jamie I am trying to make it as the previous old application that the company is currently using in order to use Jira in the future ..so I need to make the design simple ,similar little bit,and not confusing at all for these dummy users )..

so maybe Nic solution is close to my answer ..we need to give a try

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events