Scrum master and scrum team member

We are moving to Scrum and I would like to be the Scrum master but I am also on the development team. What I read about Scrum suggests these roles should be handled by different people.

Is there anyone out there doing both? How is it working for you?

4 answers

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.

Hi Tom,

the important think is that scrum master have the right amount of time to do better it's role:

• protect the team
  • remove the impediments
  • control that the Agile Scrum process is followed in the right way

In all agile implementation I took part, Scrum Master was also involved in development process for a part of time, directly or indirectly. Checking that the team is on the right track, he sometimes actively help them to solve very difficult problems. He is committed in pair programming tasks sometimes, or he can decide to take a task from the sprint board if he has available time.

I haven't done both, however, as a JIRA admin I have worked with our scrum masters. The best scrum masters are those who WANT to be one. I believe with your experience in the development role you will bring experience and great insight to the role. Go to youtube and search for scrum master and watch what the role is. Mostly, if you are good with people and have good communication skills you will do great!!! go for it!

Hi, Tom.

I don't know what the Agile good practices say about being Scrum master and developer, but as far as JIRA Agile goes, you should be able to have both roles. 

I've been in teams where it it's been like that, and it can work. The place I'm thinking of had a scrum-master/developer who was very clear about which role he was in when he was speaking, and the planning and retrospectives were quite complex at times as he had to switch between them, but it did work.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Tuesday in Jira

What modern development practices are at the heart of how your team delivers software?

Hey Community mates! Claire here from the Software Product Marketing team. We all know software development changes rapidly, and it's often tough to keep up. But from our research, we've found the h...

286 views 1 4
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you