Scrum board became private, even admin cannot view/configure it. How to recover it?

Martin P July 23, 2018

Hi,

one of our boards became private, we do not know how it happen.

Right now board admin, space admin, site admin is not able to view it or configure it.

Filter behind the board is shared and hasn't changed.

Any clues how to make it configurable again?

Screen Shot 2018-07-23 at 11.09.39.png

private_board.png

7 answers

4 votes
Miriam Weber January 22, 2021

We have the same problem currently: I am site-admin and suddenly several of our boards became private. I cannot access the private boards and can only Move or Delete them. I think it is really bad, that a site-admin cannot do that! What if the person created it left the company? Do you have a solution for that?

0 votes
Aaron Riddle November 3, 2023

If you are a site-admin,

Open the User Management panel. From there, you can navigate to the owner's account details and choose to "Log in as user".

After you're back in Jira, view All Boards and narrow down the one you're looking for. It's a manual process and you can currently only search by browsing through the catalog of boards.

But once you identify the problem board, you can update the general board settings to remove the "private" permissions.

** Just a note, you might want to check with the user before turning off the private as it might be for a reason. But in our case, it was causing a problem with an integration.

0 votes
Henry May 13, 2020

That is exactly what happened to my colleague. The person who created private board could change "Share" in board setting. Then problem solved:)

0 votes
Sili Zhao February 4, 2020

@Martin P Hi, would you please let me know if you have found a solution to this? 

Just now, all of our boards became private (across different projects) and no one can see it, not even admins :(

Martin P February 5, 2020

It was long time ago, as far as I remember, the only solution was to create a new board. At the end I found out that other colleague changed board query to one that was not shared. There was no option for me to spot that change, since one is not able to see which filter is assigned to board if it is private :( I think it is weak point of this solution. I would try to ask around your colleagues if someone haven't played with board queries. If not, you need to create new boards and hope no one will touch it.

Like Thomas Bakker likes this
Sili Zhao February 5, 2020

Thank you for your quick reply!

I suspected the same at the beginning but our situation is a bit different than yours. ALL of our boards, for different projects, became private (or maybe deleted) at the same time. They use different filters as well. 

It can't be a mistake that someone just deleted all boards or changed all the filters. I have contacted support and hope they have some insights. But I might have to create new boards for all of the projects :( 

0 votes
Tasneem Abdelhamid May 14, 2019

You can Navigate to Board setting, and from edit filter shares, assign filter  to group admin 

You can use this link  will be helpful 

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/how-to-remove-visibility-restrictions-on-a-board-779159203.html

Micha August 29, 2019

I only see Move or Delete.

Like # people like this
Deleted user January 16, 2020

Hi Micha,

Did you get the resolution for the issue.

Thank you.

Henry May 13, 2020

The person who created private board has access to chage "Share"

0 votes
Martin P July 24, 2018

0 votes
Ryot July 23, 2018

Have you double checked trying a brand new filter just in case? Try setting it to be visible by anyone to start then restrict further? I have a feeling there's still something up with that filter. It should be the only thing affecting the permissions.

No roles were changed in the project were they? It's just the board nothing else in the project?

Martin P July 26, 2018

Hi,

thanks for hints.

I can't change board filter to new one since board can't be configured.

I set original filter to be visible by anyone, but it didn't help.

There were no roles changes in project. There are 6 other boards with same permissions and just one suddenly became private.

I have created new board with with same filter as on private board and it works fine.

So the problem is not solved.

Like Arjita likes this
Ryot July 26, 2018

Is there more than 1 project included in the filter? Is it possible you and everyone else looking at the board does not have admin access to every project in the filter for the board? Maybe its pulling from multiple projects or a project you didn't realize?

If thats not it and you're still having troubles creating a new board with a new filter thats identical might be a quicker solution if you need something sooner than later.

Arjita April 11, 2024

I have the same issue.

Some months ago I created a board (i.e I am the owner), the associated filter shared with all the people in the project (i.e all roles).

It was visible and working as intended for some time, and then it suddenly became private. No one has changed anything.

I curated columns and swimlanes based on how we wanted the board to function.

Did someone find out a way to get the board back?

Suggest an answer