Scriptrunner

Ismail Sanni August 24, 2022

Hi Guys,

I only use the in-built Jira automation but I want to learn how to use scriptrunner.

Can anyone tell me the best way to learn it, do i have to learn the scripting language first or how do i go about it. 

Also, another question, in an organization, who should be in charge of generating scripts for the scriptrunner app, a developer or the Jira administrator.

Thanks guys 

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
David Freitez
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 24, 2022

Hi @Ismail Sanni ,

The entry point for a plugin should be its documentation, which for Scriptrunner for Jira Cloud is:

https://scriptrunner-docs.connect.adaptavist.com/jiracloud/quickstart.html

Where you will find tons of example code and suggestions.

As you may already know, Scriptrunner uses Groovy as a programming language, so if you are looking for a tutorial, this might come in handy:

https://www.tutorialspoint.com/groovy/index.htm

If you are a visual learner, perhaps you can check the Adaptavist youtube page, they are the vendor that created Scriptrunner:

https://www.youtube.com/user/AdaptavistEnterprise

As for your question, who should be in charge of generating scripts for the scriptrunner app, a developer or the Jira administrator?,  for me, it would depend on the organization, since you, as Jira administrator are not bound to know it all regarding the plugins, so it could be a collaboration between the Jira administrator and a developer, since the background of the Jira administrator could not come from Software engineering.

In any case, if the Developer or the Jira administrator, there is a lot of documentation so any of the positions could start learning to code in Groovy.  Also, not all functionalities of Scriptrunner require tons of coding, lots of features are Out of the box. 

Hopefully this answered your question.

Regards,

David
ServiceRocket

Ismail Sanni August 26, 2022

@David Freitez 

Thanks for breaking it down. i don't think there can be any answer clearer than this.

Like David Freitez likes this
1 vote
David Freitez
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 24, 2022

Hi @Ismail Sanni

Information regarding scriptrunner Cloud:

There are tons of code examples on the Cloud documentation, although it also has lot of features built in that don't require much coding.

The other 2 links are from the YouTube Channel from the vendor where the have videos explaining their product and the other link is a tutorial on Groovy which is the language used when coding in Scriptrunner.

Regarding the question: in an organization, who should be in charge of generating scripts for the scriptrunner app, a developer or the Jira administrator

I would say that it could be a collaboration between them, since the Jira administrator may not come from a Software Engineering background and also, one cannot assume that as Jira administrator you'll know everything there is to know regarding the Jira plugins, especially Scriptrunner that requires coding savviness.

In either case, there is a lot examples on the documentation and community.

Hopefully this answer your question.

Regards

David
ServiceRocket

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS