Scriptrunner "failed to evaluate closure for adding attachment to email"

Daniel Garcia January 7, 2018

In my workflow postfunctions I have

1. Set issue status to the linked status of the destination workflow step.
  2. Add a comment to an issue if one is entered during a transition.
  3. File Request.pdf will be created from template Account Access.docx in the pdf format and it will be attached to issue with name .
  4. File Request.docx will be created from template Account Access.docx in the docx format and it will be attached to issue with name .
  5. Update change history for an issue and store the issue in the database.
  6. Re-index an issue to keep indexes in sync with the database.
  7. Fire a Generic Event event that can be processed by the listeners.
  8. ScriptRunner workflow function - Send a custom email
    Send Request to Assigned Manager

postfunction 3 is an xporter plugin that creates the attachment "Request.pdf"
postfunction 8 is a canned "Send a custom email" scriptrunner script for sending emails. This script has the following custom attachment callback.

import com.onresolve.scriptrunner.canned.jira.workflow.postfunctions.MailAttachment

{MailAttachment a ->
    a.isNew() && a.filename.toLowerCase().endsWith('.pdf')
}

When I perform the transition I receive the email but without any attachments

In the log I see the following entry

[c.o.s.c.j.workflow.postfunctions.SendCustomEmail] Failed to evaluate closure for adding attachment to email
java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot get property 'id' on null object
    at org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.NullObject.getProperty(NullObject.java:60)
    at org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.InvokerHelper.getProperty(InvokerHelper.java:172)
    at org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.callsite.NullCallSite.getProperty(NullCallSite.java:47)
    at org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.callsite.AbstractCallSite.callGetProperty(AbstractCallSite.java:296)

I found some code on pastebin for the canned script

class SendCustomEmailUniqueAttachment implements CannedScript{

private def addAttachmentsToMail(Map<String,String> params, MutableIssue issue, Email email) {

if (params[FIELD_INCLUDE_ATTACHMENTS] == FIELD_INCLUDE_ATTACHMENTS_CUSTOM) {
        def gse = CannedScriptRunner.getGse()

try {
                def callback = gse.eval(params[FIELD_INCLUDE_ATTACHMENTS_CALLBACK])

// todo: isNew method - see previous versions for ideas
                def mailAttachment = new MailAttachment(attachment)
                mailAttachment.setIsNew(newAttachmentIds.contains(attachment.id))
                def result = callback.call(mailAttachment)

// Attachment.metaClass.
                log.debug "callback result for ${attachment.filename}: " + (result as Boolean)
                if (! result) {
                        return
                }
        } catch (e) {
                log.error("Failed to evaluate closure for adding attachment to email", e)
                return
        }
}

I assume is dying on the "mailAttachment.setIsNew(newAttachmentIds.contains(attachment.id))" line

Any ideas on how to work around this problem?

1 answer

0 votes
adammarkham
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 9, 2018

I haven't come across that code before. At least that version of send custom email isn't in the latest versions of the product going back a few years.

Which version of ScriptRunner and Jira are you using?

Can you please post the fall stacktrace of the error you get? That should give us a line number it fails on.

The steps you've listed where you create the attachment and then send the email are all part of the same transition, correct?

Suggest an answer