Scriptrunner: UserMessageUtil not working?!

Mark Brodbeck May 28, 2019

Hey guys,

I´m trying to add a notification to my post function. Unfortunately it is not displayed, when the post function is fired. Is there any additional setting in Jira to "enable" it or am I doing it wrong? Or can´t it be executed within a Post function?

I tried with the following code:

import com.onresolve.scriptrunner.runner.util.UserMessageUtil

UserMessageUtil.success("Hello world")

Thank you very much guys!

3 answers

0 votes
VVor December 21, 2020

I have more interesting/crazy situation: in my code I have a number of places where I'm calling a user message, and only one or two of them are showing them. I can't understand what is the difference.

Elias Bichler February 2, 2021

It seems that user messages generated with UserMessageUtil only work in situations where the browser refreshes the current page.

Example:

.) Create a listener for "Issue commented" that raises a user message -> Try to comment an issue -> user message will not be shown, because the page is not completely refreshed

.) Create a post-function for a workflow transition, in which you raise a user message -> fire this transition in any issue -> user message will be shown, because the page has been refreshed

.) Create a post-function for a workflow transition, in which you programmatically add a comment to an issue (this will trigger the "Issue commented" listener I suggested above) -> fire this transition in any issue -> user message will be shown, because the page has been refreshed (user message has been created by the "Issue commented" listener!)

Maybe this helps you finding out why your code doesn't work as expected!

VVor August 5, 2021

Thank you for your advice, but...

To be clear, in my post the words "in my code" means than I have ONE script (listener) and A NUMBER of calls UserMessageUtil in it. Few of them are running fluently, and some ... I never saw them (but log.debug messages shows that they were executed).

0 votes
Brian_Merrill December 23, 2019

Any answer on this?  I'd also like to use UserMessageUtil or an equivalent to display a message to the user, but the "import" line causes an error (unable to resolve class).

Brian

Brian_Merrill December 23, 2019

To be more precise, we are running version 5.6.3.2. 

The error I get is:

2019-12-23 13_17_15-Window.png

0 votes
Dan C November 19, 2019

Did you ever get an answer to this? I'm seeing the same issue with Automation for Jira.

Stewie September 29, 2020

I have the same issue.

I've found that it does work when placed in a Validator script, but not in an Automation for Jira script. It seems the point at which is it called effects it.

Update: I tried triggering a listener that contains the notification code from Automation. Still no joy.

Suggest an answer