When using a custom velocity template to render a script field, the behavior when 'previewing' it appears to have significant/breaking differences from how the template behaves on actual issue screens. Particularly around the type of the $value... value.
For example, if my script field returns a map object, I can tell a custom template to render a value from that map. In other words, if I tell the template to render...
The referenced value pops out successfully. Woo.
If I then go to look on at the field on the same tested issue key directly after saving this setup, the field cheerfully shows a literal "$value.get('some_key')".
Poking at it a bunch, it seems to be because, in "real" Jira, $value is always, alllllways just a string, so there's nothing to 'get' and velocity does its fallback behavior.
So I guess I have two questions?
So, I'd love to answer this one, but I'm not certain enough of what I'd like to say to do it. My instincts are
I don't often do this on Community, but I think this one is really worth asking the experts about. Could you raise a support request with the SR team over at https://productsupport.adaptavist.com/servicedesk/customer/user/login?destination=portals
If you do get a good answer from my colleagues, please share!
I'll definitely get a ticket going there and see how things turn out (and share!). In the time since I posted, I got a temporary workaround for just this one use case by using string methods to grab the values out of the former map. Hopefully there's a better way out there.
Regarding (2), there's an impression that the $value returned by the groovy script is the only input we have control over. This does feel like an advanced area for users with some experience extending Jira outside ScriptRunner that would help with understanding it all, so yeah, I might just be totally unaware of something available to me.
But for cute little custom field ideas like "I want this to look like a lozenge with a variable tooltip in Jira but export as/allow JQL filtering on just the word", this is probably where I should be looking. I do wish the documentation included some examples to learn from -- this is now in my bucket with Confluence scripted macros as something I could spend way too much time not getting very far on. =)
To test this, i just used a simple script and i don't see the expected output in preview as well. I observed that it showed correct value in preview for first 2-3 executions only.
def testMap = new HashMap<String, String>()
In custom template,
Please let me also know if you get any solution for this.
Introducing Jira Cloud for Excel Here at the product integrations team at Atlassian, we are thrilled to announce the new Jira Cloud for Excel add-in! This add-in lets you export Jira data directly ...
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!Find an event
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!
Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.Host an event
You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events