ScriptRunner query within sub-query...

jurgenC November 6, 2019

...or how to use "issueFunction in parentsOf" as a sub-query for  "parent in".

background:
the releases process is where there is the main issue (i.e. Release v1.3) and sub-tasks for releasing to environments (i.e. TEST, UAT, PROD).

object:
i would like to create a query that lists main issues where any of the sub-tasks are not closed and for those main issues, list the associated sub-tasks (irrespective of status).

currently i have following solution:
(issueFunction in parentsOf("project = \"Release Process Project\" AND type = Sub-task AND status in (Open)") AND summary ~ "Stock") OR parent in ("REL-26473")

i'd like to dynamicaly update "REL-26473"

the 1st section of the query returns "REL-26473" and substituting "REL-26473" in 2nd section with 1st section doesn't work:

(issueFunction in parentsOf("project = \"Release Process Project\" AND type = Sub-task AND status in (Open)") AND summary ~ "Stock") OR parent in ("issueFunction in parentsOf(\"project = \"Release Process Project\" AND type = Sub-task AND status in (Open)\") AND summary ~ \"Stock\"")

any idea or suggestions? thanks in advance!

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Peter-Dave Sheehan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 6, 2019

Breaking it down ...

You want 

1. All the parents of open sub-task matching certain parameters plus
  2. All the children (regardless of status) of the items in #1

So in JQL: 

issueFunction in parenstOf("query1") OR issueFucntion in subTasksOf ('issueFunction in parenstOf("query1")')

That may not be a very performant JQL, but this should work:

issueFunction in parentsOf("project = REL AND Type = sub-task AND status = Open AND summary ~stock") or issueFunction in subtasksOf('issueFunction in parentsOf("project = REL AND Type = sub-task AND status = Open AND summary ~stock")')

You might be able to speed it up by including a second project parameter in the sub-query

issueFunction in parentsOf("project = REL AND Type = sub-task AND status = Open AND summary ~stock") or issueFunction in subtasksOf('project = REL AND issueFunction in parentsOf("project = REL AND Type = sub-task AND status = Open AND summary ~stock")')
jurgenC November 6, 2019

wicked, this works like a charm - thank you very much for your time and effort, very much appreciated!

Suggest an answer