Screen refresh based on custom field change

Bart Jutte August 21, 2018

How can I trigger a screen refresh if a custom field is updated in JIRA?

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nir Haimov
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 21, 2018

where the customfield is updated from?

if it updated from inline edit or "edit" screen it should automatically refresh the page content

Dan Buica August 21, 2018

It is updated from the board screen.

Nir Haimov
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 21, 2018

can you please send a screenshot of the screen from where you do the update?

image.png

Bart Jutte August 21, 2018

so it is done from the detail panel on the right. This displays some custom fields as well.

Nir Haimov
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 21, 2018

Yeah,

But from the detail panel on the right, it's the same as inline edit.

If you update a customfield from there, it is refreshing at the same moment automatically.

No need to manually trigger refresh as @Dan Buica ask

We need it to trigger a board refresh.

Nir Haimov
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 21, 2018

OK, i don't see a reason to do it, but in any case, there is no way (that i know of) to refresh only the board, you can refresh the entire page (like reload), and you can do it by inject JS (if you are using Jira server and not cloud).

Does it answer your needs?

Yes it does. 

Thanks.

But how exactly do I detect the update event?

Nir Haimov
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 21, 2018
JIRA.bind(JIRA.Events.INLINE_EDIT_SAVE_COMPLETE, function() {
location.reload();
})

Once the inline edit completed, this will reload your board page. 

Dan Buica August 22, 2018

It works just fine for Jira Server. Thanks.

Is there any way to do this on cloud?

Nir Haimov
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 22, 2018

Where did you inject the JS in Jira server?

In cloud i think the only way to inject JS is from the announcement banner

I've injected it in the custom field's description.

Nir Haimov
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 22, 2018

OK,

In cloud you can't to that, the only solution in cloud was the "announcement banner" but i just remembered that they removed it from the new experienced Jira Cloud.

There is an open ticket to Atlassian about it, but till then, there is no way to inject JS, unless you create your own plugin for cloud to do what you want

Ok.

Thank you.

Nir Haimov
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 22, 2018

You are welcome.

Please mark my solution as the answer so this thread will be closed

YUVARAJ KUNDASI November 22, 2019

@Nir Haimov  What if the custom field is updated from REST API.  Is there is any other way to refresh the page so as to see the new custom field value.

Nir Haimov
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 24, 2019

Hi @YUVARAJ KUNDASI 

Sorry but,

You can't do that from the REST API.

Like YUVARAJ KUNDASI likes this

Suggest an answer