Scheduled Automation (Automation for Jira): Do not run if no issues found

Jeffrey Bistrong
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 31, 2020

I am utilizing the attached scheduled automation via Automation for Jira.

With the automation, I will have it send out an email to a certain group of users, indicating there are issues that warrant their attention.

I only want the email to run if there are issues that appear in this JQL, if there are no issues, then this email should not be triggered. 

I know this can be done natively in Jira with the subscription on a filter, but I do want to include additional context in the email as well, and additional links, which cannot be done via the native Jira subscription.

automation.png

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jane Yeoh
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 2, 2020

Hi Jeffrey,

It's great to hear that Automation for Jira is helping you achieve your outcome! If there was anything that we can help you with, please don't hesitate to reach out.

Cheers,

Jane

Jeffrey Bistrong
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 2, 2020

Hi Jane, 

I am a bit confused by the context of you question, I am not posting a solution, but asking a question. Which is, is there a way for this automation to be triggered only when the JQL has results, if there are 0 results, then do not send the intended email.

Jane Yeoh
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 9, 2020

Hi Jeffrey, 

I'm so sorry! I have clearly misread your post. For your requirement, you could use our Advanced Issue Condition to run the rule based on your requirement. Your rule will look something like this:

Screen Shot 2020-02-10 at 10.39.57 am.png

Screen Shot 2020-02-10 at 10.40.57 am.png

If you have any more difficulties, please feel free to raise a support ticket here.

Cheers,

Jane

Jeffrey Bistrong
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 14, 2020

@Jane Yeoh  that "here" link didn't work.

This works for the most part, but it sent out 5 emails, and I only need it to send one email.

Is there a way to program it to send one email

automation.png

Jane Yeoh
Atlassian Team
February 16, 2020

Hi Jeffrey, 

If you are in Cloud, unfortunately there is no current way to bulk process issues into one email. We are however tracking this here: https://codebarrel.atlassian.net/browse/AUT-888

If you are in Server, you just need to tick the bulk processing option as per our Docs here: https://docs.automationforjira.com/issues/bulk-processing.html#bulk-handling-of-related-issues

I hope that helps. 

Cheers,

Jane

Jeffrey Bistrong
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 16, 2020

Thanks. I know Codebarrel was acquired by Atlassian, do you think I will ever be able to watch code barrel's tickets?

ravi_sankar_chinnari April 30, 2020

Thanks @Jane Yeoh 

Please let us know once the bulk process issue is fixed.

on a seperate note , is there a way to get the active sprint as a smart value ?

Regards,

@R

0 votes
kirubakaran_kathirvel February 11, 2020

Hi @Jane Yeoh 

Can you explain how to configure for separate filter requests for pulling the tickets and sending reports through the mail every week?

Thanks in Advance

Suggest an answer