Scan JIRA and Confluence for words in body text and/or attachments

Scott Bernstein October 22, 2018

Is anyone aware of a script, plugin, or 3rd party tool that would scan the Atlassian database (and file attachments) for security risks like passwords, connection strings, and other secrets that someone may have inadvertently entered into JIRA and Confluence?

4 answers

1 vote
Joe Pakenham January 19, 2021

I've been looking for something similar myself, and this addon from the Marketplace, Nightfall, looks promising for cloud: Jira DLP: Cloud-Native Data Loss Prevention with Nightfall AI

Jerome MELKISIDAK September 18, 2021

Hi Joe,

Are you looking for an effective customized PII detector for JIRA and Confluence ?

1 vote
Stephen Sifers
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 24, 2018

Hello Scott,

What I am understanding is that you are look for a Data Leak Prevention (DLP) or Personal Identifiable Information (PII) plugin for Jira and/or Confluence.

The market place is a good place to start, searching for DLP turns up nothing. However searching for Personal Identifiable Information (PII) does yield results. Market Place Search Results.

An alternative would be to query the API for both Jira and Confluence and create your own search and filters. This would require a lot of lead time but would allow you to customize your searches and filters to you exact requirements. Here are the API documents for Jira and Confluence:

Jira REST APIs (server)

Confluence Server REST API (server)

I hope you find this helpful, let us know if you need further information.

-Stephen Sifers

Scott Bernstein October 24, 2018

Splendid!  Thanks for your useful answer, Stephen!

0 votes
Adam Palaczyk
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 4, 2024

Was this issue eventually resolved? I am also in a lookout for a Confluence solution that would search for specific words through spaces.

0 votes
Jerome MELKISIDAK September 18, 2021

Hi Scott,

Hope you are doing good !

Are you still having trouble in detecting the PII data from JIRA & Confluence ?

Felix Tessari November 28, 2021

Hi Jerome, im indeed still looking

Jerome MELKISIDAK November 29, 2021

Hi Felix,

Greetings !

Kindly note that we can able to support you. Can I have your email address to catch up with you ?

Thanks !

Suggest an answer