Same sub-task displayed twice under a parent issue

Shilpa Sanil February 25, 2019

Hi Team,

We are facing a weird issue since last week. Some sub-task displayed twice (same key & description) as different sub-task under the parent issue. When we log work in such sub-task, in both this gets reflected.So the parent issue effort also duplicating as effort from both sub-tasks are being considered.  If i delete this sub-tasks both disappears from the parent. 

If i search with the sub-task id only one issue is displayed,in db also only one issue exists. If i search with parent id also in search result only the non-duplicated sub-task list is shown but when we open the parent task some sub-tasks are shown twice.

Any idea how to solve this? It's not happening always but many jira projects are facing this issue since last one week.

Thanks

Shilpa

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
David Clark June 4, 2019

We were having this issue too.

Just to follow up on this with a solution, we updated to 8.2.1 and are no longer experiencing the problem. Methinks it was one of the items fixed between 8.0.0 and now.

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 5, 2019

Thank you for sharing your experience, @David Clark

In fact, I was not able to found any reported bugs about this behavior, however, I think it's worth check if I'm able to reproduce it in the version you mentioned, although we don't have more details and logs about the scenario to reproduce it.

Thanks again for the feedback!

Like David Clark likes this
Shilpa Sanil June 10, 2019

Hi David,

You meant Jira 8.2.1?

David Clark June 10, 2019

That's right. I should also mention we're on Jira Server.

I tried the search indexing approach mentioned here, and then ran the database integrity checker, neither of which seemed to work while we were on 8.0.0 (or some version near that).

Then, we noticed there was an update available and went ahead and applied it. No more duplicated subtasks!

Shilpa Sanil June 18, 2019

But our Jira is 6.4 and we are in the process of upgrading to Jira 8. So 8 is also not enough to solve this right?

David Clark June 18, 2019

I haven't done extensive testing so I can't be sure. All I know is that we were on version 8 when we first encountered the issue, and updating to 8.2.1 seemed to fix it.

0 votes
Jonathan Lerch May 7, 2021

Hello everyone,

We have this problem as well in our system (server based, Jira 8.6.1). Re-Indexing doesn't help further. Any other tips to solve this problem?

Thank you for your support.

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 26, 2019

Hello Shilpa,

Have you tried to perform a background re-indexing of your Server instance in order to ensure the integrity of your index? Check the documentation below for more information:

Search Indexing

Also, I would recommend you to try the integrity checker after the re-indexing is finished:

Using the database integrity checker

Let me know if one of the options above worked for you.

Suggest an answer