I am trying to set up SSL and I am having some trouble really understanding how to get the cert and cert path into a Keystore that the Jira application can read. We have our own PKI and I will need to set up the store so that it has our root, sub and cert.

Thanks,

B

1 answer

1 accepted

Hi Burton,

As a guide you could check out in Running JIRA over SSL or HTTPS documentation.

Also, are you using proxy in front of JIRA? I mean Apache, IIS.

Would you please explain a little bit more what is the main problem you're facing?

Have you configured SSL as described above and got some error? If so which error was it?

I hope it helps.

Cheers.

Hi, I have read the guide. Where my confusion starts is where is the keystore I should be using? Also, we are using our own PKI so I need to add my own root ca and sub ca to the trusted roots. I am not using an apache reverse proxy.

Thanks for the feedback!

Burton

Hi Burton,

Once you have already created a certificate, basically you'll need to:

1. Copy the certificate (including "BEGIN" and "END" lines) and save it on a "YourCertificateName.cert" text file;
  2. Import it using Keytool to your keystore file:
    $JAVA_HOME/jre/bin/keytool -import -alias YourCertificateName -file YourCertificateName.cert -keystore /path/to/your/keystore
  3. Tip: If you're using Tomcat with SSL, you have to configure *server.xml* file (JiraDirectory\install\conf\sever.xml) as below:
    <Connector 
               port="8443" maxThreads="200"
               scheme="https" secure="true" SSLEnabled="true"
               keystoreFile="/path/to/your/keystore" keystorePass="CertificatePassword"
               clientAuth="false" sslProtocol="TLS"/>
    -->
  4. Otherwise, you can just import it on a new keystore and add it on your JIRA startupoptions with the following argument:
    -Djavax.net.ssl.trustStore=/path/to/your/keystore -Djavax.net.ssl.trustStorePassword="CertificatePassword"
  5. Restart JIRA and check if SSL is working.

I hope it helps.

Kind Regards

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

2,755 views 11 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot