SQL to return for every project most recent updated date

DI2E Licensing
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 31, 2015

We are hosting > 100 projects in our JIRA instance. I'd like to know if all of these projects are active.

Current idea is to run a query that returns the most recent update date or create date for any issue, one for each project.  So it doesn't matter which issue within the project it is.  I just want to know when the last activity was.

Hope this makes sense. If you have a better way to gather this information would love to hear it.

If it makes a difference, we're running postgresql.

Thanks.

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Rodrigo Rosa
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 3, 2015

Hello team,

Please try the query from this previous answer:

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/176459

I've adapted it to postgres:

SELECT DISTINCT i.PROJECT, MIN(i.UPDATED) as "Last Updated", p.pname
FROM jiraissue i
INNER JOIN project p
ON p.ID = i.PROJECT
GROUP BY i.PROJECT, p.pname
ORDER BY MIN(i.UPDATED) ASC, i.PROJECT, p.pname
DI2E Licensing
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 10, 2015

That is Brilliant!!! Thank you so much.

DI2E Licensing
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 10, 2015

I spoke too soon. :( the results indicated for project ABC that the last update was on 2012-10-16. But when I search on issues for that project, I see updates as recent as 8 days ago. I'll play around with it. I see where you are going here.

DI2E Licensing
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 10, 2015

Okay, changed MIN to MAX and it's a thing of beauty! SELECT DISTINCT i.PROJECT, MAX(i.UPDATED) as "Last Updated", p.pname FROM jiraissue i INNER JOIN project p ON p.ID = i.PROJECT GROUP BY i.PROJECT, p.pname ORDER BY MAX(i.UPDATED) ASC, i.PROJECT, p.pname;

Like # people like this
DI2E Licensing
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 11, 2015

Question ... know what the query would be for confluence and stash??????

hesham raafat May 28, 2018

Hi,

do you know how i can get it to list the project keys instead of the project names? or to list both the project keys and names?

German Rodriguez Bolanos December 18, 2018

The Query is working nice! But has a little issue, for nulls values on the "Last issue update" are not listed.

0 votes
Cody Crandall December 4, 2017

DI2E SysAdmin was right max and min needs to be switched for this query to work correctly. Thanks all!

Suggest an answer