SQL Exception Error after upgrade to JIRA 8.13.2

Yew Teng Ui January 13, 2021

Hi, 

After Upgrade to JIRA 8.13.2, I keep facing the below error. It's pop out when the transaction is made. Without any special condition and happen randomly.

Please let me know, any information is needed to overview this issue.

Thanks in advance.

jira 8.13.2 error.png

2 answers

0 votes
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 13, 2021

Hi @Yew Teng Ui

which type of database are you using? Which version are you currently on for the database?

So, you mean that the workflow is perfectly find (no troubling conditions/validators) but you are assuming it must be backend (database) related?

Regards,
Daniel

Yew Teng Ui January 14, 2021

Hi @Daniel Ebers ,

The database I'm using is MySQL version 5.7.19.

Before upgrade to JIRA 8.13.2, the workflow is working fine.

In the process of upgrade, I have updated the Database collation from utf8 to utf8mb4 based on this link. I'm not sure is it related to the issue I'm facing.

Thanks.

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 14, 2021

At least I can confirm the Jira version is compatible with the database version you are using :)

Is there probably anything more detailed visible from atlassian-jira.log of your instance?
Apart from that (this is just a guess, though without any evidence) it indeed looks like an error that is being given back from database itself ("Lock wait timeout exceeded").
Did you make sure for the database the settings are like they are described in documentation:
https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/connecting-jira-applications-to-mysql-5-7-966063305.html

Sometime the hinge is only on a small detail.

0 votes
Milan Chheda [INFOSYSTA]
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 13, 2021

Not sure, but can check this KB article, as it relates to the error message shown in your screenshot: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/jira-mysql-usage-fails-with-error-java-sql-batchupdateexception-lock-wait-timeout-exceeded-224396239.html

Yew Teng Ui January 13, 2021

Hi  @Milan Chheda [INFOSYSTA] Thanks for the reply, I have checked the KB, its look like a different issue.

Suggest an answer