[SOLVED] Unable to Start/Close Sprint - needs admin role from multiple projects

David Chou May 27, 2014

Has anyone seen this weird behavior where there is an error saying "To update this sprint you must have Project Administrator permissions for all of the following projects: project A, project B"?

However, looking at the board's configuration of filter, it should only need admin to project A - it doesn't have any issues in project B.

Error happens in two different cases

1. When a user is trying to start a sprint

2. When a user is trying to close a sprint

Versions:

JIRA 6.2.2

JIRA Agile/Greenhopper: 6.3.12

7 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 27, 2014

David,

please could you try to create an Agile board for the existing project A and verify that it works fine?

Regards,

Fabio

David Chou May 27, 2014

I was able to create a new Agile board for projectA and it's fine.

Ok, maybe it's time to open a ticket to support.

David Chou June 5, 2014

Atlassian support indicates that there were projectB issues in the board at sometime or another

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 5, 2014

To "close" a question, mark the best answer correct with the tick mark to the left of the answer.

2 votes
Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 27, 2014

Hello David,

even if there're no issue related to Project B, because your Board is cross project, you need to be project administrator in both project to start/close a sprint.

Please, take a look here https://confluence.atlassian.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=298978639

Hope this helps,

Fabio

1 vote
J K February 1, 2018

We just encountered this issue and it seems to be caused by two different projects having the same sprint name. Got to that by using this piece of support from knowledge base:

1. Go to Issues > Search for issues
  2. Enter JQL to find issues in your sprint from other projects.
    • For example, if your project key is "ASDF" and your sprint is "ASDF Alpha" use this JQL: A Sprint = "ASDF Alpha" and Project != ASDF
  3. Execute the search and examine the results.

We got that the same sprint (by ID) is used between two projects. It looks a person from another project assigned some tickets to our sprint by modifying Sprint field in tickets. We had to revert those changes back.

0 votes
David Chou May 27, 2014

project = projectA AND issuetype in (Bug, Task, "User Story", Sub-task) AND status in (Open, "In Progress", Reopened, "Resolved - Needs Verification", Closed, "Dev - In Progress", "QA - In Progress") ORDER BY Rank ASC

Disclaimer: I didn't create this filter, some scrum team did :P

David Chou May 27, 2014

I didn't many folks emailing me when we were in JIRA 5.2.2, however after the upgrade there have been a few. One had a simple filter "project = projectA ORDER BY Rank ASC". Both had the common issue where they needed to be admin in projectB. (Both cases projectB is our Ops project)

Versions:

JIRA 6.2.2

JIRA Agile/Greenhopper: 6.3.12

0 votes
Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 27, 2014

Hello David,

please could you share your dashboard filter?

Regards,

Fabio

0 votes
David Chou May 27, 2014

i'm pretty sure the Agile board filter does not have any issues from project B. The filter is targeted only to project A. I looked at the filter and it doesn't have any project B issues.

0 votes
Subhendu Chattopadhyay
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 27, 2014

Are you sure that the board do not contain any issue/task/sub-task associated to project B? Is there any issue you moved from project B to project A?

Suggest an answer