Routing Emails to specific project

David Gage January 23, 2019

How can I setup Jira Service Desk (Server) to route emails to specific queues by things such as the senders email address?

We have multiple systems that send emails automatically for notifications and alerts but they all come in to the same queue (or Project).  I would like to have those emails automatically routed to a project for "Alerts and Notifications" instead of coming in to the mail support queue.

--------

More Info:

All emails for things IT related come into our "Desktop Support" email address.  This includes end-user support requests, licensing responses from vendors, and system alert messages.  By default, everything comes in to the Desktop Support project and I have to manually move them to their specific projects (except for end-user support requests where everything stays put).

I already have the (secondary) projects built out and using them, but I'd rather not have to manually move the requests as this often can take a lot of time to do and really should be automated.

1 answer

1 vote
Aaron Williams
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 23, 2019

Do you have a different project for the Alerts and Notifications already set up?

I'm not sure if you're using a custom email address to receive, or using the one that is supplied by your project, but there are two ways you could do this:

I'll call this the easy way...

In the example that you have alerts coming from a specific place (like a noreply@ or alerts@ address from a domain like GitHub, Google, etc...); you could take the email address given by the Alerts and Notifications project so that they go directly to this project rather than being routed to the Desktop project and then being moved!

Problem solved? I'm hoping this is the simple solution that works... if you're using a custom email address in your Desktop project, perhaps you're able to set a new custom email for the Alerts project?

I'll call this the convoluted way...

Jira Service Desk has a built in Automation tool in the project settings which you can use to perform a number of functions; in our org. we use this to sort notifications for New Hires and Leavers, pushing it to a different queue with no SLA within the same project.

You could do something like this:

• WHEN issue created
  • IF reporter = noreply@randomdomain.com
  • THEN move issue to Alerts and Notifications project

The above would take a lot of the manual work out of moving specific issues from specific email addresses, and you could use the in modifier on the IF statement to list a selection of addresses, like so:

• IF reporter in (noreply@domain1.com, alerts@domain2.co.uk)

I'll take this a step further with a "long-term view" way...

Perhaps sometimes you're having contact from a vendor where sometimes they need to be in Desktop Support for help, but are sending over Order Confirmations; these emails usually have a prefix of "Order confirmation" or "Invoice" in the subject line, in which case you can use:

• WHEN issue created
  • IF reporter = noreply@randomdomain.com AND description ~ "Order Confirmation"
  • THEN move issue to Orders project

The above can help you get really smart with moving issues around based on known criteria, allowing you to filter the issues and move them to different queues, projects, etc. It just takes a bit of time to figure it out and fine tune!

Aaron,

Thank you for the response back. 

Unfortunately, I have to go with the convoluted route for a couple reasons, one being the old OSI model "Layer 8" issue.  The other, and less of an issue, is just the number of systems I would have to update.

Also, my THEN doesn't give me the ability to move in the dropdown.

1-23-2019 3-14-31 PM.jpg

I went through all the options but didn't see the ability to "move" an issue.

Aaron Williams
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 23, 2019

Hey David, I thought I was going crazy for a second - I am able to use Edit issue to alter the Field, under which you can select Project and it allows you to move to a project.

This is also a good place to auto-close issues (using Transition issue) that you don't need to move, and don't need to take any action on, but can't stop them being created without breaking something else.

Ok.  I just didn't go far enough into the rule to understand how to move a ticket.

Oooh!  That's a great idea.  A lot of the notifications we get require no action but from a compliance standpoint, we would want in history in the event that one of our many certification auditors want to ask for them.

Actually... scratch that.  Still not getting the "Project" option from the Edit Issue -> Field:Project.

1-23-2019 3-14-31 PM.jpg

Are you using an Add-On that I should?

Aaron Williams
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 24, 2019

No add-ons at my side, so I'm wondering if you're on a version of Server that doesn't include the Project field as an option. Did you try searching for it in the text box? It could just be showing a limited few in the dropdown...

Alternatively it is possible that you don't have "Move Issues" permission in the project; this is something set at the Global level and you can have a look at the Permissions section in project settings to view the Permission Scheme to verify what it might say.

Beyond that I'm tempting 'out of my depth' ideas, so I hope the above helps or someone else comes along who knows more!

David Gage January 24, 2019

I should have all the necessary permissions to do whatever I need since I'm the guy who setup the system.

Leave it to me to have the version that doesn't support the task I need.  :-\

Suggest an answer