Root Directory location for Atlassian Cloud

Callum Carlile _Automation Consultants_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 7, 2019

Please may someone tell me where the root directory is for my Atlassian Cloud? I do not have anything downloaded so I am not sure where this is...

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 7, 2019

Hi Callum,

I understand you're working on domain verification (and you've had a look at the instructions) so that you can do things like let Jira Service Desk send mail from your domain, control accounts with your company's email address, or apply policies in Atlassian Access.

For domain verification, you need to upload a file to your webserver that hosts your company's website. This is entirely separate from your Atlassian Cloud services.

As an example, if I had a company called Acme Inc and my email address was daniel@acme.com, my company's website would be www.acme.com. The domain verification file would need to be uploaded to www.acme.com/<verification>.

The Atlassian servers then check for the file on your company's website to ensure that you do in fact own www.acme.com.

Every website is different so unfortunately I can't give you a hint on what you need to do to determine where and how to place the file. In most companies, the Marketing department has a good idea of where these things are or at least which technical contact you will need to reach to access your website server.

If for some reason you aren't able to add files on your company's website or can't find the right person to do that for you, we also offer an option to do verification through DNS records. The person you'll need to contact for assistance with this probably has the title of Network Administrator in your company. The IT Manager and/or chief information officer at your company will know who this person is. Again, this is all on your company's end/infrastructure - we use the records you upload to your servers to prove that you own and have control of the domain name.

Cheers,
Daniel

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 8, 2019

@Daniel Eadswhen you say Domain Verification is that related to SSL?

Thank you!

Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 8, 2019

Domain Verification can be completed in two ways - either through DNS, or by adding a file on your company's website. If you do the website option, your website must be served over HTTPS (which is where TLS / SSL comes in).

This only needs to be done for Cloud so that we know you own a specific domain.

On Server, you have full control over the user accounts (they are not shared between instances through an Atlassian ID) and you use your own email server. These are the two reasons we have verification in Cloud. Because you own both of those pieces in server, there is no reason for verification to happen on Server products.

Like Fadoua likes this
0 votes
Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 7, 2019

@Callum Carlile _Automation Consultants_

Since you are a Cloud user all your important directories are on Atlassian servers. You can not access them.

There is no way for you to access them from your computer. If you want to have more control then you may think about switching to hosting the Applications on your servers (AWS,....)

I hope I answered your question. Don;t hesitate to ask more if you need to 😊

Best,

Fadoua

Callum Carlile _Automation Consultants_
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 7, 2019

Hi @Fadoua, thank you for your reply.

I am wanting to verify my domain so I can gain ownership of it. To verify the domain over HTTPS, one of the steps is to "Upload the HTML file to the root directory of your domain's webserver" (step 4 of the HTTPS section).

Are you saying this is not possible?

Many thanks

Like Fadoua likes this
Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 7, 2019

Only Atlassian Engineers can do it for you when you are a Cloud User @Callum Carlile _Automation Consultants_.

Please click here and open a ticket with them. As far as I know you don't have access to Home or install directories.

Best,

Fadoua

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 8, 2019

@Callum Carlile _Automation Consultants_

@Daniel Eadsgave you the best answer. Thank you Daniel!

I apologize for my lack of knowledge, I am a server user and always think that these steps are part of our duties.

Because of your great question, I learned an important information.

Best of luck!

Fadoua

Suggest an answer