Roadmap for Company-Managed Project (Project Management template): Roadmap Tab not Showing

Haydn Woodward April 29, 2021

I'm new to Jira, and my team is looking to use this system as a project management software. To do this, we'd like to have a Gantt chart function (i.e., Roadmaps); however, we'd also like to use the company-managed project structure for some of their features. I am currently running the free version until our department's procurement office can set us up with the standard paid version.

I've been doing research on showing the Roadmap in a company-managed/classic project, but the options to enable it are not there. The Jira Support Page says to enable it from the "Board settings" by locating the Roadmap Tab. As the actual Project's Board doesn't seem to have options that I could find, I went to a board created through the "Your Work" tab in the top menu. However, my tabs don't list Roadmap. The tabs I have are only these: General, Columns, Swimlanes, Quick Filters, Card colors, Card layout, Working Days, and Issue Detail View. I have also ensured that my board filter is only for a single project, and I've checked for both a Kanban board and a Scrum board.

The template project I'm using (Project Management) has the "Timeline" feature, but it does not appear as robust as the Roadmap feature, especially in that I cannot re-order the issues on the list or show their connection to their related Epics.

Any ideas for what to do here?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 29, 2021

Hi Haydn - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

That is a Jira Core project (Business Project also now known as Jira Work Management project). Those do not have roadmaps available. 

To create a Company-managed project, you need to click the Jira Software link in the bottom left side of the initial create project page. Then select Kanban or Scrum. Then select Company-managed. 

Interesting; the text on the bottom left of my pages state "You're in a company-managed project", which definitely makes this seem unclear.

What I'm getting from this is that the project needs to be a company-managed software project to have Roadmaps, rather than a company-managed work management project. Is that correct?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 29, 2021

Yes either Company-managed or Team-managed projects 

Like Haydn Woodward likes this

Awesome, thank you for the clarity!

Like John Funk likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
TAGS