Right sidebar (help sidebar) opening and empty on page load

Justin Webb April 5, 2023

Hi, I'm new to Jira and somehow managed to alter a setting that changes the UI for my profile. When on my laptop (PC) and I open an issue, board, or any other page within a project, the right sidebar (where the "Help" information appears) defaults to open, but is empty of content. I have cleared cookies and cache, and even downloaded a new browser, but it always opens.

This takes up 25% of the page and is very frustrating when reviewing tickets on the backlog page. The only workaround I can find is to open developer tools and alter the CSS to minimize the sidebar, but this gets very frustrating as Jira loves opening issues in new tabs.

Any ideas?

TRAD-board-Agile-Board-Jira.png

3 answers

1 vote
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 7, 2023

Hi @Justin Webb , welcome to the community.

This seems odd and I do not think that there is a configuration for this. I just had a quick look in my instance and couldn't find anything. Have you tried a different browser just to see if the behavior is the same? Also, have you checked with anyone else in your instance to see what they are experiencing?

Justin Webb April 18, 2023

Thanks Jack. Unfortunately it's a cross-browser issue. I've tried on Chrome and Edge (only browsers permitted by my employer) and get the same issue.

Screenshot 2023-04-18.png

It's also happening across projects, so it's a profile issue. 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 18, 2023

I am unsure of what else to look at TBH. I have tagged this to see if someone can comment further.

Justin Webb April 18, 2023

I appreciate your help, Jack

0 votes
Dieu Nguyen August 7, 2023

The same issue happened with me, I don't know how to turn it off

Can someone help me?

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 8, 2023

Hi @Dieu Nguyen 

From a previous support ticket I believe the issue was a browser extension causing some unexpected display problem here.  Could you try to use an incognito or private browsing session to try to replicate this?  Sometimes these modes in the browser can be setup to give you a clean browser session without browser extensions.  Alternatively, it might help to try another browser to see if the problem can be replicated.

If that doesn't help, I'd recommend trying to reach out to one of your site-admins to raise a support request with us for this so that we can gather more data and investigate further.

Dieu Nguyen August 8, 2023

@Andy Heinzer 

I've tried to another browser and private browser but got the same issue2023-08-09_11-55-02.png

Justin Webb August 23, 2023

I gave up trying to solve it. I provided a colleague that also uses Jira with my account login details. When they logged in with my account on their device they saw the side bar issue, but when they logged back into their account it worked properly. 

Our org isn't using Jira any longer (the project finished) but if/when we do again my plan is to delete my account completely and then create a new one. Hopefully that will solve the problem.

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 20, 2023

Sorry to hear about this problem.  I have created a support case on your behalf over in https://getsupport.atlassian.com/servicedesk/customer/portal/23/JST-866743

Regards,

Andy

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events