Revert Jira Issue View back to Old View

Nick Blay February 13, 2019

The new Issue View is terrible. It shoves all the information down the right side of the issue forcing you to scroll through and squint to try to find what you are looking for.
You are given the option to "See The Old View" but that does not apply to the entire system as you constantly have to select it for every issue you open or switch to.
I need a way to set the system back to the Old View and keep it that way,

Please let me know how I can accomplish this, because the new view is awful and doesn't work for the purposes I need.

14 answers

8 votes
Kian Stack Mumo Systems
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 13, 2019

Nick, 

Please check out the "Personal Settings/turn off Jira Labs" feature.

Screen Shot 2019-02-13 at 10.18.55 AM.pngScreen Shot 2019-02-13 at 10.19.04 AM.png

Ahhhh thank you kindly Kian!
It's back to normal now! Much appreciated!

Like Dominik Bauchner likes this
Heidi Matchett February 13, 2019

unfortunately, we already DID have this turned off.  I had to turn it ON then back OFF to get back to the old view. :-(

Like Nick Blay likes this

Mine appeared to already be off, so I just closed all my browser windows, and opened a new one and the change stuck.
Hopefully it doesn't revert again.

Frank Han May 23, 2019

OMG, THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH!!!

Alex Anguix June 11, 2019

Does this affect the entire project or organisation?

This is a disaster!

Our organisation is about to transition to the cloud and with these non-custom fields friendly changes, I'm going to have to recommend finding another product.

Ignacio C June 9, 2021

«We're currently transitioning everyone to the new issue view, so you're no longer able to switch back to the old issue view. Learn more»

Seriously Atlassian. WTF... 

Like Sebastian Tilders likes this
7 votes
Nick Blay May 6, 2021

Hey Atlassian,

over 2 years later people STILL HATE this new view you've pushed on us,
It doesn't make working in your system effective or intuitive in the least.

How can you see this "new view" is better than the old one?
Take a look at the difference:

New View = Garbage View

Jira New View.png

Old View = Better View

Jira Old View.png

The New View makes it impossible to see any information entered with any sense of flow.
You have to wade through different tabs in order to find comments, and other information...

The Old View, by contrast, puts everything front and center for users.
The only saving grace right now, is that you can Switch to Old View by clicking the 3 dots.. but how long until you remove that and take away our ability to actually use your product properly?

PLEASE RESTORE THE OLD VIEW!
Your changes are absolutely terrible!
Why do you think so many users opted out of the Jira Labs testing to restore the old view?
Listen to your users and change this back.

7 votes
Heidi Matchett February 13, 2019

I agree - we depend heavily on customized fields and multiple tabs.  This new look is crippling us.  :-(

Ryan Shillington February 22, 2019

Agreed.  I feel like the person who designed this new view didn't have any custom fields and didn't consider them at all.  We've added all of these custom fields and now we can't see them.  It's honestly sent us looking for a different bug tracker, which is crazy because I've been using JIRA for 20+ years.  This "new view" reminds me of "New Coke".  It's a flop.

Like # people like this
Jeff_Rollison March 1, 2019

+1

Especially true with custom fields of type 'multi-line text'.

We have a multiline text field called QA notes on our bug cards.  It contains essential details for our QA team to pass information to other team members.

The new view forces that multi-line text field into the narrow right panel, with only 5 lines visible and no wysiwyg editor on field focus.  AND  there's no way to force the layout to move that custom field into the larger left panel

Jira team seriously dropped the ball on this one.

Like # people like this
Richard Daigle June 3, 2019

The new view is terrible! It removed all, i repeat, all the useable, valuable content. Who designed, then approved such an awful change?

Like # people like this
7 votes
MarioRolletschek February 13, 2019

Total agree, no good change. I missed this post but I have opened exactly the same topic

5 votes
Deleted user May 31, 2019

In addition to the custom fields you also cant see the Tempo estimates and actuals on the new view.  I agree with statements above.  Ever since this new view has been pushed out I have heard a stream of complaints from my users.

4 votes
Mark Frederick January 3, 2020

I absolutely agree and no ill will but i must say the new issue view is terrible.  I had a nice chunk of real estate down the middle of the screen that could be re-used by other fields depending upon which custom tab i chose.  Now that is all shoved right and when, for example, i select multiple checkboxes from some 30 choices, the entire list is displayed in a box two inches high with an entire column of blank space below it.  Unbelievable that anyone QA'd this.  This is just one example.  Some of the changes are very good, like not forcing all date fields or system fields to display on the right.  But the bad significantly outweighs the good.  Again, no ill will.  I love the product but this is killing me and i just now started to learn how many of my 30 users got sidelined to the new view without me knowing.  They don't speak up, they just stop using Jira, while i defend it.  And now i have to restore their old view one by one manually !? 

new-view.jpg

4 votes
Scott Ocamb June 26, 2019

I will add to the voice here, I do not like this new view. It should not be turned on by default since so many features are removed. 

Scott Ocamb July 8, 2019

Just want to add something more here...

I understand developing software using a Minimal Viable Product approach. I also understand that many features are not used at all or just a little.

I understand that Atlassian needs to learn what features are used and what ones are not used.

The mistake made here is not that the new view is bad. It may be on track to be good. 

The mistake is, it is turned on for everyone by default and very hard to turn off.  Also for most users it is not Viable.

Attlassian, Please make the option to use the new view a global setting. Then partner with your adventurous users who decide to opt in and make a kick ass new view without affecting your existing customers in a bad way.

Then when you truly have a Minimum Viable Product for most users, turn it on by default.

Rant Over .....

3 votes
Deleted user June 18, 2019

The "New" view is very inefficient, having to scroll down to see the basic ticket info and losing the tabs and custom fields from the view is very crippling - Not a good move for our organization

1 vote
Chad Monroe May 15, 2021

The new issue view is absolutely disgusting. Please allow us to change it back or we will end our Jira contract.

0 votes
Gunjan kumar Mehta August 26, 2021

Go to Kanban Board > Board Settings > Columns

* here you will see Backlogs as empty and on Kannan backlog column there will be a draggable item with count of your backlogs

* drag this backlogs item from Kanban backlog to Backlogs and you OLD VIEW will be back.

Nick Blay August 27, 2021

I tried this, but in the columns section of the board, they are unmovable.
I'll check other sections, but I'm not sure this solution will work for me, unfortunately.

0 votes
Łukasz Franz June 7, 2020

The above mentioned ideas do not work anymore on my end :/ Any help?
(BTW my profile avatar is top right / not bottom left :P )

jira.jpg

0 votes
vimal3k9 December 20, 2019

Hey Guys, You can Turn OFF the new JIRA UI after following the below steps shown in the image.

JIRA New View Off.png

Miguel Costa December 20, 2019

yes people are aware... the point is that someone decided this was a good idea.

even worse one day that someone might even disable the option to turn it off...

those options are normally supposed to be temporary until the official roll out 

Like # people like this
peter March 26, 2020

I tried to followed the instructions in the image, but dropdown from the 3 dot menu does not have "Turn off for now." I tried it on a bug and a task.

Nick_Blay March 26, 2020

Peter, 

click on your Profile and Settings picture at the bottom left of the screen:

When the menu pops up click on Settings (not Account settings).
Scroll to the bottom and find the Jira Labs section. To the right there should be a "switch" to the right. Make sure it is turned off by clicking it.

This should revert your system back to the better view.

Hope this helps!

Sebastian Tilders November 1, 2021

Nope, Atlassian does not anymore allow you to switch this so called "feature" off.

0 votes
Wanga_Ngcwayi September 26, 2019

I don't even get the option to revert to the old view. This is annoying.

0 votes
Miguel Costa August 14, 2019

the new view is so bad...

it's hard to edit, hard to define sizes of pictures and the code snippets look so bad.

all the custom fields suddenly gone, tabs all messed up... not nice

also I like how this is now marked as resolved... when they decommission the old view and make this the product version how will that work?

Suggest an answer