Retrieving links of Epic via EXPR

Mikhail Kouyantsev December 16, 2021

Hi, everybody.
I'm using "Strucuture for JIRA" plugin and bumped into a problem when configuring a formula column - I was unable to get a collection of links for the epic of issue in context. I tried several forms:
epic.issueLinks
this.epic.issueLinks
this.epicLink.issueLinks
epicLink.issueLinks 
Nothing worked. 
Please, help me to find out the correct syntax for this formula.

P/S. I know, I can include epics into the structure and address to the attributes of parent, but it's not a solution in this case.

1 answer

0 votes
Dionathan Lopes _ALM Works_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
December 16, 2021

Hi @Mikhail Kouyantsev 

Dionathan with ALM Works here.

If I understood it correctly, you just want to show in a Formula Column the Epic to which the issue is linked, is that correct?

If yes, you could try using the code "epic" or you could add a new Column "Epic Link".

Both alternatives will be like the following:

image (5).png

Please let me know if it does help.

Best Regards,
Dionathan

Hello, Dionathan!
No, I've got another case.
Link hierarchy is as follows:
Project 1 Story 1 -> contains -> Project 2 Epic -> Epic of -> Project 2 User Story1.

And I want to make a column showing Project 1 Story 1 for Project 2 User Story 1. In other words I want to have "PROF-142" instead of "USM-2421" in formula column

Structure_view.PNG

Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
December 16, 2021

Hi @Mikhail Kouyantsev 

Thanks for the detailed information.

In this case, you could try the following codes, depending on how the link is configured in your instance (PS: this formula will work only on the latest versions of Structure (V7.0 +):

• Parent{issuelinks.source}

or

• Parent{issuelinks.destination}

Please refer to this article for more information: Aggregate Function Reference 

If any further questions, let me know.

Best Regards,
Dionathan 

Like # people like this

@Dionathan Lopes _ALM Works_ thank You, but no :)
As i said previously:
 I know, I can include epics into the structure and address to the attributes of parent, but it's not a solution in this case.

I just need to iterate throughout the collection of the links of the epic in order to find... something. And I will have no epics in my structure. I gave You a pic just to show You the dependencies between tasks.

AFAIR, we were told previously, that we could use dotted expressions, like:

this.property.property.property

Documentation says:

You can also string multiple property calls together:

project.lead.email

So, I just want to know, if the construction like:

this.epicLink.issueLinks

was excluded from this pattern and why this happened.

Thank You!

Marketplace Partner
December 17, 2021

Hi @Mikhail Kouyantsev 

Thank you for the detailed information.

We would love to take a closer look at your setup.

Please send us a note to support@almworks.com or contact us through our customer portal: support.almworks.com

We look forward to hearing from you.

Best Regards,
Dionathan L
www.almworks.com

Brock Jolet October 16, 2023

@Mikhail Kouyantsev , did you ever get this to work? I'm in a similar boat where I would like to pull the issuelinks for the parent, but the suggested Parent{issuelinks} does not seem to work.

mike April 1, 2024

@Brock Jolet in our structure there's a formula variable "epicStories" and it lists all the stories of an epic. Not sure if this is unique to our setup or what.  We're using Jira Data Center and looks to be Structure 9.2.

I have a formula column and "epicStories" as the sole entry, no "item...." or anything, just that word alone and the stories of the epic of that line are listed in a column.

Like Brock Jolet likes this

Suggest an answer