Retrieve data from Jira project via webhook?

Yokai-FTW May 10, 2023

We can't use global automations due to admin restrictions so to work between projects, we use webhooks probably more than it was ever intended. (Just for context.)

I have an automation that is triggered by an incoming webhook.  Part of that automation needs data from another Jira project so I can't get the data by doing something like {{triggerIssue.attribute}}. 

One of the devs figured out how to grab data from GitLab via the REST API.  (Returns the contents of a specified file.) I'm wondering if Jira has something similar. My googling is returning info, but I'm mostly confused by it.

I basically want to send a "GET" issue.attribute to a particular project and have it return the desired info.  Somehow have the URL specify the project, issue, and attribute I'm interested in.   

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Matthias Gaiser _K15t_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 11, 2023

Hi @Yokai-FTW

Jira has an official REST API with many endpoints to get information. You can view the docs around the project related endpoints here. This one is specifically about getting the details for a given project: {baseUrl}/rest/api/2/project/{projectKey}.
Here's an example which you can call in your browser for the JSDSERVER project on jira.atlassian.com.

In order to call it from an Automation, you'd need to use the send web request action. You need to provide the url and also some form of authentication. You can set a basic authentication header with a username and API token.

Hope this helps,
Matthias.

Suggest an answer