Retiring Old Domain Controller, what are the DNS requirements

Matthew Johnson December 20, 2021

We’re retiring an old DC (one of several in our environment), As a test before demoting it, we powered it down. We found when the DC was powered down, no one could log into Jira/Confluence any longer. It’s been suggested there’s an old DNS entry that needs updating. We do not use AD integrated DNS. Would someone post some links point me to the DNS, LDAP/AD lookup requirements?

Thanks in advance.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 21, 2021

Welcome to the Community!

Um, actually, there aren't any DNS requirements for Jira. 

If you have set up Jira to connect to other systems, and done it by host hame, Jira just asks the operating system for its networking.  There's no resolution or networking in Jira.

My guess is that you're right about the LDAP server - the server Jira is running on has had it's DNS removed when your DC went away, and Jira is set to look for LDAP:<your ldap server name>/stuff.

When Jira is first set up, it comes with an internal directory that the first account (the admin) account is created in.  Most of us who add other external directories leave that account alone, using it as an emergency way to log in if our directories fail.  If you've got access to that, you can log in with it, and go look at the user directories settings - you'll find the connection string with your LDAP hostname listed there.

Once you know what the string is, you can set up the networking to resolve it again, or change it to the new name of the LDAP server.

(If you don't have access via the initial admin user, then you can retrieve a password for it or a recovery-admin, depending on what version of Jira it is)

Matthew Johnson December 21, 2021

Thanks,

The owner of the app is out of town until after the holiday's, so I thought I'd take it upon myself to ask around and try to locate an install doc
It's more than likely hard set for one Domain Controller. now it's just a matter of finding where the setting is.
have a good one.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 21, 2021

You can probably also cheat when you get back into your Jira - change the server name that isn't resolving to the LDAP server's IP address!

To get the password, (sorry, should have said this in the answer), see https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/restore-passwords-to-recover-admin-user-rights-972329273.html

Suggest an answer