Restricting what one user to only view issues assigned to them?

Jared Dringenburg July 9, 2013

Greetings, I have a small team that is working on one project in JIRA. We are bringing on someone that we need to give limited access to only issues that are assigned to them. I have tried everything and im sure it’s a simple answer - please help!

4 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Randall Robertson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 9, 2013

This sounds like an issue security question. Try reading up on Issue Level Security. This link is for the 5.1 version of JIRA, but you can search the documentation for whatever version you are using.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA051/Configuring+Issue-level+Security

Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 10, 2013

Randall is right. Define one security level (set it as default) with following members:

• all of your team, except the one with limited access
  • current assignee

then apply this security level to all your issues (via bulk update - you would need the permission set security level)

1 vote
Justin Alex Paramanandan
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 9, 2013

How about setting the Browse Project permission in the project's permission scheme to Current Assignee?

Also, you might want to create a new project role/group, add your existing users to this role/group, and then add this role/group to the Browse Project permission as well? This will allow them to view any issue within the same project, while maintaining this user to view only issues assigned to them.

thanks though. hmmmm. . . currently if they are a single user in the Browse Projects then they can simple click the Issues tab and see all the issues.

Justin Alex Paramanandan
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 9, 2013

You mean if you are using the default settings (which is Project Role (Users))? Or Current Assignee?

If it is the default, then anyone can view any projects in the instance; provided they are in the Users project role for all projects. If not, they can only view projects that they are configured in that specific role.

If you just set the Current Assignee to that permission alone, then users can only view issues assigned to them.

If you were to mix the Current Assignee and a group that contains your existing users (excluding the limited user), then all of your existing users can view all issues; and the limited user can only view the issues assigned to them at present.

Slim Bhiri February 5, 2015

You are right @Justin Alex [ServiceRocket].

0 votes
Jay August 13, 2013

Hello, I have read through this and I am still struggling. May I add my scenario, it may be similar but any help is appreciated.
1 Project, 1 admin, 2 devs and I simply want devs to not be able to see unaasigned issues.

I realize that has been asked before but I am stuggling to make it work.

Could someone lay out a step by step resolution once and for all?

Thank you

0 votes

Justin, I have tried that and it gives that single user access to the entire project - not just issues assigned to him.

Justin Alex Paramanandan
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 9, 2013

Indeed, Jared. The function of the Browse Project permission is to allow users to browse projects so that they can create issues. Since you've added the Current Assignee to the Browse Project permission, he/she can browse the project but only view the issues that are assigned to them.

I believe that this is how JIRA works. ;)

Like raju kothapalli likes this

hmmm - that simply allows them to view everything in the project. Im playing around with the permisssions scheme right now. Maybe if I set up a group for just that one person and limit the permissions?

Justin Alex Paramanandan
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 10, 2013

Hmm, from what I understand from your requirements, is this what you would like:

• someone will be having limited access to the issues (i.e. only can view issues assigned to them)
  • the rest of the users would be able to view all other issues?
  • or, all users can only view issues assigned to them?

Can you confirm if this is what you would prefer, as this is what I understand from your question above:

"We are bringing on someone that we need to give limited access to only issues that are assigned to them..."

"...that simply allows them to view everything in the project..."

"...it gives that single user access to the entire project..."

If you can clarify this, this will be great!

Jared Dringenburg July 10, 2013

Justin, thanks for all your help! Can you tell im new to JIRA haha? Yes, your first two bullets is exactly what I need.

• Someone will be having limited access to the issues (i.e. only can view issues assigned to them)
  • the rest of the users would be able to view all other issues

I have set up an issue security scheme that incudes everyone in the group but that one person then I have applied that to the project. The issue is the person still cant see issues assigned to him.

Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 10, 2013

Hi Jared, just add assignee to your security level, then your problem should be solved.

Justin Alex Paramanandan
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 10, 2013

Ahahaha, we are all learning everyday, man! No worries! JIRA is a tough beast to handle in the beginning, but it takes time to master it. ;)

Yup, just add the Current Assignee to the security level! :)

Justin Alex Paramanandan
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 10, 2013

@Udo, @Randall: What do you reckon of my suggestion above about the Browse Projects permission? Just with the following:

• Current group of users
  • Current Assignee
Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 10, 2013

Hi Justin,

not sure if this will work. Browse project means you can see all individual issue (except those with a security level).

I understand your solution this way. If I am assigned to one issue - I can see all issues in that project. But I haven't tried your setup yet. Maybe it works anyway, but I have my doubts.

Justin Alex Paramanandan
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 10, 2013

Hmm, interesting case, mate. I tried the Browse Projects permission, and the result was this:

• Current users can view all issues in that project.
  • The limited user can only view issues assigned to them.

Interestingly enough, the issue security scheme works too! :D

Randall Robertson
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 10, 2013
I agree with @Udo. It may work, but I would not assume that Browse Project should be an issue control mechanism. It pertains to the project level of the system which involves details not related to any particular issue. So, you may get unintended effects. Issue security is the intended way to do this and thus is likely to have fewer side effects and be supported better in the future.
Justin Alex Paramanandan
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 10, 2013

Well understood, @Randall. I'll keep it in mind when having such mechanism in my instance in the near future!

Randall Robertson
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 10, 2013

Interesting that it worked both ways, @Justin. Thanks for the info.

Suggest an answer