Restricting users to close issues on jira

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 11, 2013

Hi All

As per my understanding, if I remove all the conditions (resolve issue permission and close issue permission) from the transition steps of <any_status> to Close status on the workflow I would be able to prevent all users from closing the issue.

However, after doing that I realised that users in project role X are still able to close the issues. How is it possible?

Looking at the permission scheme I realised that Close Issue permission is alloted to users of project role X. But as per me, that should not be an issue as I have remove all permission conditions from the workflow transitions to Closed status.

Does permission scheme Close issue permission supercede the workflow condition permissions?

What is the recommended way of restricting the ability of closing issues to just one individual?

Rahul

3 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 11, 2013

Ok, that's very clear now

My confusion was from jumping on the incorrect statement in the first paragraph and then not picking up the implication in the third. Sorry, I apologise for missing that.

That follow up is very clear. That looks like a significant problem, as your expectation is exactly what I would expect as well. I have just tried setting up the same in a 5.1 installation, and it does what we both expect - project Admins can close it, other people (even those with "close" permission) can not.

Might be worth an Atlassian call to investigate further, as I'm not sure where to look next (because it sounds like it's set up correctly to me!)

3 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 11, 2013

Ah, I think you've misunderstood.

If you remove all the conditions for a transition, then you are allowing all the users to do it.

The point of a condition is that it restricts the workflow action so that it can't be run unless the condition is met. If you remove all of them, then there are no rules, and anyone can do it.

You need to put conditions back that will only allow the poeple you want to run a transition run it. The obvious one is "must have close permission", but you could easily add something like "must be in group X"

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 11, 2013

I'm not sure I understand that.

You didn't mention that you had added a condition saying "project admins" as well as removed the others, but that should have worked and restricted it to just project admins. Except that we don't know how you said "project admins"? Was that by specifying "has project admin permission", or by "has close permission" (which would explain others being able to do it if they had that from the permission scheme), or by group, or role? Or something else?

Permissions can get quite messy. It's worth breaking it down to it's constituent parts - think of of the conditions alone - exactly what rules do you set up?

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 11, 2013

Thanks Nic. I only wanted project administrators to be able to close issues and hence i deleted the existing conditions and added condition to allow proect admins to perfomr the transition.

Result was project admins were able to close issues But users who were in project role X but not Project admins (Close issue permission ==Project role X on permission scheme) were also able to close issues.

Hence my confusion,

Rahul

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 11, 2013

sorry if i have not been able to communicate myself. let me give it another try.

Objective: to restrict ability to close issue to one individual i.e. project role project administrator

How I did it: removed all existing conditions from the workflow transitions leading to Closed status and replaced it with only users with Project role admininstrators can perform this transition.

What I expected: Only project admins can view the Close issue button. It worked. as non project-admins could not view the close issue button on the issue.

However, when I tested the same with a user who was non-project admin but belonged to a project role which was associated with close issue permission he was able to view the close Issue button.

I feel it may be a bug with JIra as I agree with you that this user should not have been able to view the close issue button

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 11, 2013

thanks Nic for your comments. Is there a possibility of it being a re-indexing issue?

Rahul

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 11, 2013

Considering my limitation, how would you recommend me to achieve my objective?

My opinion is to create a new permission scheme and amend the close issue permission and leave the workflow conditions as it is.

Rahul

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 11, 2013

Yes, that's what I'd do. And ask for help with Atlassian, because it doesn't sound right to me (and I get a different behaviour)

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 11, 2013

Hi Nic...thanks for your help yesterday. I have found the solution.

The resolved -> Closed transition step, I had missed to (delete Close issue permission) and add the project admin permission to it. Once I got it rectified it clicked and now I can control access only via workflow conditions.

Rahul

0 votes
Frank Vidal October 24, 2014

Hi,

I'm still not sure how to get this to work.  I have a similar situation.  I have a client group and project role that allows our clients a certain amount of visibility and functionality in JIRA for their specific project.  I do NOT want them to have the ability to Close issues.  Currently, the only project role that has the permission to close issues is the Project Manager role.

For some reason, every role has the ability to Close issues.  Can you provide a solution that lets on the Project Manager role have the ability to close issues?

Thanks.

Frank

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 24, 2014

Look a the conditions on your close transition on your workflow. It's probably missing "only let people who have "close" permissions close issues"

Suggest an answer