Restricting user group to a specific collection of ever-changing projects?

Matthew Walker January 14, 2020

Is there a way to organize projects into groups to which I can grant user-permissions? 

The goal is to avoid having to set multiple project permissions for each new Project, of which we have numerous starting each day, each which has one of 20 unique teams (both internal and external users).  It would be great to be able to create a Project and then, by associating it with a certain Project "container", associate its permission schemes immediately, in one step. Category evidently can't - nor was intended - to be used this way, so I'm thinking there's perhaps no easy solve.

If there's no out-of-the box solution, is there an add-on that allows for this?

2 answers

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 15, 2020

Hello Matthew,

Thank you for reaching out.

Per your description, you would like to create multiple "permission templates" where you have all the groups and permissions set as you need, so you would just need to add one of those templates to new projects you create in a single step without having to manually set each permission for each new project. Is that correct?

Just like @Earl McCutcheon, you can create multiple permission schemes to set your permissions as you need and just add them to the projects as soon as you create it. Allow me to further explain with a practical scenario:

Let's suppose you have three "categories" of projects: Support, development, and Management. You have multiple projects with the same category that should have the same set of permissions, however, each project "Category" should have a different set of permissions with different users/groups.

These would be the steps to configure a set of permission for each category:

1 - Navigate to Jira Settings > Issues > Permission Schemes > Create three new permission schemes, each one related to a project category:  Support, development, and Management.

2 - Edit each permission scheme to have the correct set of permissions, allowing Managers to navigate in the Management permission scheme, developers in the development scheme, etc.

3 - Once you create a new project, navigate to project settings > Permissions > Click to "Use a Different Scheme" > Select the scheme related to the project category.

For more information about the instructions provided, please check the documentation below:

Managing project permissions 

Let us know if you have any questions.

Matt Walker January 15, 2020

THANKS so much, especially for the steps involved. This is super helpful and will be useful to test on my end, which I'll do shortly. 

(I'm surprised there isn't an out-of-the-box containerization for Projects.  Categories does this from a query perspective, but in terms of an easy way to "house" projects that can be segregated in the same way as are Projects, it looks like your solve is possibly the only way to succeed!)  Much appreciated!

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 16, 2020

You are welcome, Matt!

Let us know if you face any questions while performing the steps suggested.

Like Earl McCutcheon likes this
0 votes
Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
January 15, 2020

Hello @Matthew Walker ,

For your use case "organize projects into groups" you can set up permission schemes for the projects so that a shared set of permissions are applied to the projects so that they will line up across all the projects applied, then within the Permission scheme you can set these to project roles with a default membership set to a group.  

If you set up the project to use role membership in the permission scheme with groups assigned to the Role by default, all the new projects created will use the group access, but gives project admins the ability to edit the roles later on if additional restrictions are needed to lock the project down further or expand to include additional groups or users by adding and removing role membership ad-hoc.

We have a really good walkthrough covering the concepts for this in the KB "How to restrict project access for teams in Jira Cloud" and details on setting up the default role membership for the groups can be found in the  "Managing project roles"  documentation.

Regards,
Earl

Matt Walker January 16, 2020

Thanks so much, Earl!  This is really helpful.  I'm gonna walk through this over the weekend and will post any outcomes once complete.  Your time is much appreciated.

Like Earl McCutcheon likes this

Suggest an answer