Restricting issuetype creation

Anand Vardhan September 3, 2019

Hi, 

I'm currently adding new issue types and workflow to an existing workflow scheme just to experiment a few things. I'm trying to restrict the creation of a specific issue type in this existing workflow scheme. Below is the scheme which I'm talking about:

Screen Shot 2019-09-03 at 4.05.33 PM.png

I want to restrict creating "FT, NFT, VAPT" issue types. I don't want to remove these from the scheme as I would lose the old data.

I tried using jira properties from workflow by adding the following:

jira.permission.create=denied
jira.permission.create.issue=denied

But none of these works. Any way to restrict creating the said issue type.

2 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Pete Singleton
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 3, 2019

The only way I believe you can restrict issue creation is on the workflow validator.  It's simple to create a copy of the existing workflow and associate it in a new scheme just for the projects you need the restriction on.

0 votes
Answer accepted
Ilya Turov
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 3, 2019

I believe it's impossible to hide it altogether, but I guess you can create a validator on "create" transition which will eg allow only jira-administrators to create those issues (much easier if they have a separate workflow).

Anand Vardhan September 3, 2019

@Ilya Turov -Thanks for the input! The problem here is this particular workflow is associated with 34 different projects and setting this would reflect in others too. One workaround is to create a new workflow for this scheme but I want to keep this as last resort.

Any other advice?

Marianne Lee (Nagarro) September 27, 2019

Hi @Ilya Turov , @Pete Singleton ,
In the case of Jira Cloud, the options in Validators are limited to permissions. Is there a workaround to restricting creation of issues in by Roles instead of (or in addition to) Permissions?

Thanks and regards,

Marianne Lee

Ilya Turov
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 29, 2019

@Marianne Lee (Nagarro) 

the weird idea I have is to pick some unused permission (like "Set issue security" if you don't use it in this project), give this permission to those groups you want to allow to create issues you want to be allowed and set that permission on those issues workflows.

but that feels really strange, I'd recommend looking for plugins to extend default workflows functionality.

Suggest an answer