Restricting certain groups to certain projects

Sally Earl January 22, 2018

I have a client with a group of users who I want to restrict to only one project in JIRA - I don't want that client group to see any of my other projects. I've been through the documentation and cannot work it out. 

3 answers

1 vote
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 22, 2018

Hello,

You should create a different project permission scheme for the project and add this group of users only to this permission scheme. In this case the group users will only be able to work with the single project.  

Sally Earl January 22, 2018

Hi 

Thank you for the answer! 

0 votes
Brook Warner February 20, 2018

I have a similar problem - but I feel like I've done as everyone has been suggesting and still can't solve it.

I've created a 'restricted' Permission Scheme, and added several projects to this. In the "browse projects" permission, I've added a single group. I do not belong to this group.

When I view "all projects", I can still see all of these projects that are supposedly using this 'restricted' permission scheme. I can't open these projects, but my understanding is that I shouldn't even be able to know they exist.

I do not have 'Jira-users' in my setup - meaning, I haven't granted any permissions to 'Jira users' except for in 'Application Access'. 

Project roles are empty, we have not used this feature and there are no defaults set here.

Screen Shot 2018-02-21 at 4.51.13 PM.png

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 21, 2018

If you're an administrator you can always see the project to administer it. But if you don't have permissions in it you can't open or view issues in it. 

Brook Warner February 22, 2018

I've checked on a non-admin's computer/account. 

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 22, 2018

Sally,

I sounds, like many administrators, you've taken the default from Atlassian of allowing the default logon group, which every user is put in upon creation, (jira-users or similar) permission to everything. JIRA doesn't allow RESTRICTING access. It works on the best practices of GRANTING access to ONLY those things needed. For @Alexey Matveevs answer to work you'll need to either:

1. remove the users in question from the default logon group, create a new logon group, and put that group in the permission scheme for the new project. The downside is unless JIRA changed every new user will be put in BOTH the logon groups.

2. This solution will be a more time consuming depending on your setup. Convert to using project roles. This allows the project lead to add/remove users from their project. Remove all groups from the permission scheme and give project roles the permissions. As your system grows there will probably be more projects you want to limit access to and you'll easily be able to do it. 

Suggest an answer