Restricting Existing Fields to specific Issue Types

Brian Draper November 14, 2014

I have got 3 issues types 'Incidents, Service Request and Change Requests' but as I am can only create a single 'Create screen' this becomes a problem for me.

From the 3 different Issues types I have created Custom Fields which I can restrict on what Issue type I can restrict them on but there are a few pre-defined ones in which are available from JIRA which I would only like to see on certain Issues Types

* Affected Version
* Component
* Security Level
* Attachment

The list above are the ones which I would like to restrict so that they are only available on Issue Type 'Incident and Service Request' but not Change Request' 

Can this be accomplished?

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Markus Tollmann November 14, 2014

You can create different screens for the different issue types. And for every screen you can place the fields that you want. 

This gives you the overview:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA063/Configuring+Fields+and+Screens

0 votes

I think from my description this may be coming across wrong.

I do not want these fields to be hidden or mandatory when creating an issue but would like them not to display only on Change Request but would like them to display 'Incident and Service Request' This will be the same for all projects not separate ones

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 14, 2014

Hang on, do you mean "Service Desk" and not just "plain Jira"?

Markus Tollmann November 14, 2014

Good Question from Nic. In "Plain JIRA": You create an issue choosing a project and a issue type. In this moment the screen changes (if you have different screens customized for your issues types) and the user only sees the fields that you want them to see.

This is just Plain Jira, I am not using Jira Service Desk. I understand that this may not be feasible from restricting from GUI interface but from the back end this should be feasible from the back end adding in some scripts possibly.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 14, 2014

Um, well, you have an answer to that. Use screens or field configurations. Selecting what fields appear where is what they are designed for. The project and issue type work together to determine what fields appear. In one project you can go as simple as have "nothing but a summary for Question issue types and 35 fields for a change request type". It's all off-the-shelf behaviour, you don't need any tinkering on the back end.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 14, 2014

Yes, you create more screens to hold them, OR you can use "field configurations" to hide them (or mix the two approaches, but that can get very messy, and I recommend sticking to one or the other as much as possible)

Eitther way, have a look at https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Configuring+Fields+and+Screens

Suggest an answer