Restrict users so they can only see their assigned tasks on the Kanban board

Loren Collits June 4, 2018

Hi,

I am setting up a new Kanban board that my internal design team and freelancers will use.

I need my freelance designers to be able to view only their own assigned tasks, I do not want them to be able to see what tasks the other freelancers or internal design team are working on. Is this possible to restrict this?

FYI: I want my myself and the internal design team to be able to view all tasks that are listed in this same Kanban board. No restriction.

2 answers

2 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 4, 2018

Use issue level security scheme. Just make sure the freelance designers aren't in another group or role that allows them to view it. 

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver073/configuring-issue-level-security-861253265.html 

Loren Collits June 6, 2018

Thank you for this answer @Joe Pitt!! Really has helped.

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 6, 2018

@Loren Collits please mark it as answered 

Deleted user April 15, 2021

I am not able to view the link you have shared.

Could you please share another link, if available

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 16, 2021

Apparently it has disappeared. Read the issue level security documentation. That link was for the server version and cloud may handle it differently. 

1 vote
Answer accepted
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 4, 2018

Hello,

It should be restricted on the project permission scheme level. Delete the Browse Issues permission for the freelancers group and grant the Browse Issues permission to Assignee. In this case the freelancers group will able to see only issues, assigned to them.

Loren Collits June 6, 2018

Hi @Alexey Matveev, I have still not solved the issue but your insight has really guided me in the right direction.

One question. I found the "project permissions" in the project. I can make changes to what a user can do to a task, but I can't work out how to make it so that a user can only see tasks that are assigned to them only. 

Can you give me more insight into how I can make this happen?

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 6, 2018

If you grant the Browse Issues permission to Assignee (there is such a choice). Then only the Assignee of a ticket will be able to see the issue. If you have a role, which also has to see all issues, you can grant this role the Browse Issues permission as well.

Untitled.png

Loren Collits June 12, 2018

Thank you for this info @Alexey Matveev

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 12, 2018

@Loren Collits You are welcome!

Jarek_Orszanski October 9, 2019

Hello, can anybody help me ? I am trying to follow the instructions how to configure JIRA-Software so that user belonging to particular group is limited to see only  assigned to him task on KANBAN board, but do not understand what/where should I do, I am looking for step-by-step instructions. 

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 9, 2019

I strongly suggest you stop using groups and use project roles. It provides much better granularity

JIRA works by GRANTING access. You can't restrict access. By default, it grants access to the group used to logon (see Global permissions to see the "can use" groups and admin groups).  This is where users are getting their access.

1. The FIRST thing you need to do to get control is to remove any groups with logon privileges from the permission scheme unless you absolutely want everyone to have that permission.
  2. Then I suggest you setup Project Roles for the various functions like, tester, QA, Browse Only, etc.
  3. By using project roles, one permission scheme will cover all projects. The project admin controls project role membership
  4. If the project leads want everyone that can logon access to the project they can add the logon group to a project role with the desired permissions.

This may be a big effort, but it will pay off down the road by making it easy to control access.

Most of the 'old timers' use project roles. It meets the best practice for security and gives complete control to the project lead for access to their project. JIRA comes with many project roles, but you can add more if you have a special need.

Jarek_Orszanski October 9, 2019

1. I have only jira-administrators and jira-software-users, those 2 are default built-in groups and of course they must be there and have logon privileges. I do not understand how it is possible for anybody to use Kanban table without Logon privileges ?

2. I need only one Project Role, I created role "Users" in JIRA/System, of course there is another one built-in Administrators that is present in the system. But this is not related to the Project, I cannot add the Users role to a Project, at least do not know how to do it. There is only one default role there

3. I cannot find where can I bind roles with projects, permissions, etc.

I am sorry, too many questions from my side...

Suggest an answer