Restrict access to only view Source Tab in JIRA Studio?

Russ LeWinter October 4, 2011

We would like for some users to only be able to view the SVN repository but not be able to view tickets. We are using our SVN to allow users to download archived zips of content. However, we do not wish for them to see the Issues tab or anything else.

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Matthew Hunter
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 4, 2011

Hi Russ,

You can indeed restrict a user to only be able to see the subversion repository. If you take the following steps then it should all be configured for you:

1. Create a new group named "source_only".
  2. Create a new user with Developer access.
  3. Remove the new user from it's current groups and add the group "source_only"
  4. Go to the "Issues" administration tab and then go to "User Settings" -> "Global Permissions", add the group 'source_only' to JIRA users. You'll need to do this so that they can do anything, but so long as the user does not belong to any groups that have permission to browse projects they will not be able to see any other data.
  5. Go to the "Source" administration tab and click configure next to the desired repository.
  6. Just add the group "source only" to the Read permissions and the user should be good to go. :)

Cheers,

Matt

If I want the user to see the entire project/trunk, do I add Read Only Access to /CC/trunk (CC being our Repository)? I followed all the steps above and everything seemed to work perfectly in regards to access, but not sure if i'm just being impatient and not waiting the full 5 minutes, but when I click Source tab, then try to view the repository using the web based client in JIRA Studio it isn't showing anything yet... saying: There are no visible Repositories.

0 votes

If I want the user to see the entire project/trunk, do I add Read Only Access to /CC/trunk (CC being our Repository)? I followed all the steps above and everything seemed to work perfectly in regards to access, but not sure if i'm just being impatient and not waiting the full 5 minutes, but when I click Source tab, then try to view the repository using the web based client in JIRA Studio it isn't showing anything yet... saying: There are no visible Repositories.

0 votes
Jon Sword
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 4, 2011

Hi Russ,

I believe what you are looking for is controled by the project permission:

View Version Control
Ability to view Version Control commit information for issues.

-- edit: Maybe I am confused. The issue is tagged as JIRA Studio but you are talking about browsing the repo and not seeing the issue tab. Are you sure this is not a Crucible/Fisheye question? I was answering the reverse... Blocking users from seeing the Version Control information from within JIRA.

Regards,

Jon

Suggest an answer