Restrict access for backlog

Gerd_Huhn May 28, 2020

Hi everyone,

is it possible to restrict the access for the backlog of a Jira Board?

To specify... A bunch of people can see and work with Sprint Backlog /Board, but some of them are not able (or allowed) to view the backlog, respectively items in the backlog.

I know this is not the typical use case for a Jira Board, but for it is fine for me in this special case.

Thanks everyone!

Ger

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 28, 2020

If you are using a Classic Kanban board and can configure the setting you can control the sharing of the board but if you want to control what they can see/do that is done at the project permission level. What precisely is your goal. Note if you are talking about the default boards created with some projects they cannot be configured at all. Access is at the project level.

Gerd_Huhn May 28, 2020

Thx,

the goal is that our ceo and his vice can create tickets to start a discussion about a topic, which no one else could see. Only when they both agree, that the topic is management ready, it can been moved to the board/sprint backlog so that everyone can see it 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 28, 2020

So do you really need to make the issue not discoverable altogether or what if it isn’t shown on the board at all? You could create a unique status and simply not map it to any board column. Now a user with appropriate project permission could search and find the issue if they were so inclined but you can restrict who can move issues into and out of this status.

Like David Ahern likes this
Gerd_Huhn May 28, 2020

It should not be discoverable at all, as long as the ceo doesn't want to. 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 28, 2020

I would create a separate project altogether and restrict permissions. Then move the issue to the other project when approved.

Gerd_Huhn May 28, 2020

Yeah, thx. That was my least favourite option, but seems to be the only real one :D

2 votes
Zack January 7, 2021

@Gerd_Huhn you can configure access at a issue type level. I would recommend creating a new issue type and restrict the access to only admin users. This way the CEO can log issues of this type if they would like to limit visibility.

This way you can stay in a single project but manage visibility. After review, you could change the issue type and it will then be visible to everyone. See image below on where you can set these issue type restrictions.

Snag_1b58d457.png

Suggest an answer