Restrict ability to create components to only certain users

Susheela_Kushwaha March 24, 2023

Is there a way to restrict who can create components within a Jira project.

I found here https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/How-can-I-restrict-users-ability-to-create-new-Components-while/qaq-p/993348  that one can use project admin role.

But we have couple of admins but not all should be able to create components. 

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 24, 2023

Hello @Susheela_Kushwaha 

Any user granted the Administer Project permission for a given project will be able to modify the Components available for that project. Such users can also modify the available Releases, and manage the association of Users to Roles for the project.

You can change who has the Administer Project permission to constrain who has access to modify Components, Releases, and manage Roles. These are the options that are available for the Administer Projects permission

Screen Shot 2023-03-24 at 11.44.11 AM.png

Note that you would be modifying this in the Permission Scheme applied to the project. Any project that used that Permission Scheme would be impacted. Only a Jira Administrator can modify the Permission Scheme.

0 votes
Tilman Ulshoefer March 28, 2024

It would be extremely helpful to have a distinct permission for managing components (and also version, for which I found this blog: Solved: How do I assign the permission to create Versions).

Comparable to "Manage Sprints".

The current solution to allow it under the Admin permission only is too risky in our big projects!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events