Restrict Who Can Move Issues To A Specific Issue Type

Fabio Rodrigues July 18, 2018

Is there a way to restrict who can move issues from any issue type (task, epic, story, etc) to a specific issue type (bug)?

3 answers

1 vote
Sateesh Molleti January 3, 2020

Did any one found solution for this one not from the market place ?

0 votes
Kyrylo Skuibida December 4, 2019

Hello all,

I've had the similar issue. I needed who can move certain issue types and who can create certain issue types.

I found nothing better than https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1211968/issue-type-filters-and-security?hosting=server&tab=overview

Hope that works.

0 votes
Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 20, 2018

Hello,

Check out this previous post on this topic that offers up some workarounds:

Regards,
Earl

Fabio Rodrigues July 20, 2018

Thanks Earl,

The suggested workaround works when you create a new issue but it seems that when you move a issue it doesn't run the validator defined in the workflow.

Any other suggestion?

Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 24, 2018

Hello,

Removing the users "Move issues" permission on the project would put a stop to this, but has the disadvantage of preventing the issue from being moved to another project if this is done regular.

Another Option could be to ScriptRunner, which has the ability to hide the move button with the Hide UI element built in function in ScriptRunner. You can set a condition that the button will be visible only for certain issue types, or possibly by user roles or group membership. Please see:

Regards,
Earl

Fabio Rodrigues July 24, 2018

Thanks Earl,

Unfortunately I can't remove "Move Issues" permissions or the "Move" button because the users use a lot this function.

I need to find a way to "block" the "next" button in the move issue screen if the "New Issue Type" selected is "Bug". I'm trying to use ScriptRunner but not sure how to specify that it should run only when moving issues.

manogna December 12, 2018

@Fabio Rodrigues , Did you find any solution for this?

Fabio Rodrigues December 12, 2018

@manogna, not yet.

manogna December 12, 2018

@Fabio Rodrigues 

Someone posted this, did you also try this? 

Mizan Jan 26, 2012

Hi Vishnu ,

You can create a webwork plugin which extends the action on moving issue and put a condition which checks the issue type . you can see all the actions in actions.xml in the web-inf folder . Or you may edit the moveissue.jsp in atlassian-jira/secure/views/issue/moveissue.jsp , i am not sure but you can add a condition in this jsp which checks the issuetype selected and if the type is 'Change Resuest’ give a message.

Pawel Rozek December 20, 2018

I would also be interested in figuring out a solution for this.

What I'm trying to do is prevent users to convert custom Incident issue type into Story issue type on different workflows. We have an integration with our ITSM ticketing system and if users convert the "Incident" issue type to "Story" or anything else as a matter of fact, the integration would break between Jira and ITSM. 

I looked at the moveissue.jsp file however I don't think it would be a good idea to modify core code as this would add another step into upgrades that admins will have to remember to take.

Like # people like this
Sean Sowell July 31, 2019

Did anyone ever find a good solution to this - i have the exact same scenario as Pawel above.   

Mayuresh Sakharape April 20, 2023

I have exactly the same scenario. Does anyone found a resolution or workaround?

Suggest an answer