Restrict Visibility of comments for Groups or Roles

Deleted user April 30, 2018

I want to restrict the visibility of comment within my JIRA project for certain user groups or project roles. Also, I want to define, which groups or roles can restrict the visibility of a comment

Problem:

But for some reason it only works for administrator. Only administrators can hide comments, and comment can only be hidden for all Users except administrators. The project was created as a Software Project:

Bildschirmfoto 2018-04-30 um 16.20.03.png

4 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 30, 2018

Hello,

Comment visibility works the following way:

A user can restrict a comment only to a group or a role to which the user belongs. That is why only users, who belong to the Administrators group, can restrict comments to the Administrator group.

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 30, 2018

I think you did not change the Comment Visibility property. Go to System->General Configuration and set the Comment Visibility property to Groups & Project Roles.

Chris Stones December 18, 2018

This has been broken with cloud/new version

Like # people like this
Ben Tibben April 1, 2019

This does not work in Jira Cloud New update.

Like # people like this
Shaun York May 24, 2019

The new issue viewer has appeared to have removed this functionality. Pretty upsetting to our workflow to see this change. I'm surprised they would release a breaking change like this. 

Like # people like this
Tushar.Kamble November 20, 2019

@Alexey Matveev [cPrime],

Can we hide "All Users" option in the comment visibility ?

Regards,

Tushar

Like Nick Perkins likes this
3 votes
Vishv Sharma April 26, 2019

Can comments that are already posted be hidden upon a security group change for a task? Example: An internal task has ongoing discussions and it is ready to be assigned to an external vendor. However, all the external vendor needs to see is the SOW in the description and not internal team discussions via comments.  

Madhu Reddy May 5, 2020

hi @Vishv Sharma , Did you managed to find solution for this.

Please help me if you have a solution for this.

Thanks in Advance.

joanna.szalkowska June 18, 2020

You can change each comment's visibility. All the internal discussion comments need to have internal visibility (ie. everyone from a company can see it) and the comments for a customer should have external visibility (ie. everyone from client's company can see these)

mind it's not whole task visibility, but single comments in them

sample.png

0 votes
Jean Pyronneau December 2, 2018

Can a project be setup to have communication from the comments be seen by project roles

0 votes
Deleted user April 30, 2018

Hello, yes, I checked it and it works like you said for project roles.

But for groups it still doesnt work: I cannot restrict people from the same group i also belong to.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events