Restrict Viewing an Issue to Reporter, Assignee, and Watchers

Stephen Gurnick
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 8, 2014

I have a JIRA project with a permissions scheme with the following access details:

• Any JIRA user can create an issue in this project
  • Only a small subset of users can work on the issues (e.g. assign, edit, comment, resolve, close, etc.)

For this project I don't want any user to be able to see any issue as occasionally the issues contain sensitive information. This information should only be viewed by the reporter (could be anyone with a JIRA account) and the small subset of users who have privileges to work on issues in this project.

Where I'm having trouble is allowing the reporters to be able to view the issues they create. The issues are created successfully for any JIRA user as the reporter, but then they can't view their issues since they are not a part of the allowed user group to browse or work on issues.

In looking at the available permissions scheme choices, I don't see a way to allow reporters of issues to only view issues they create - it appears to be an all or nothing scheme for the Browse option.

Am I missing something here?

Appreciate your help pointing me in the right direction, or telling me this can't me done.

Thank you.

2 answers

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
Peter Bengov
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 8, 2014

We have this setting working for us. You shouldn't be afraid to add relevant users to Browse Projects permission. We have added all relevant users to this setting (reporter, watchers, assignee, etc.). This should make relevant users see only the tickets which they are part of. Otherwise - they won't be able see their issues too.

Make sure they have also the Edit Issues & Add Comments, if needed.

Stephen Gurnick
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 8, 2014

Thank you for this. I now see that there are more granular options (e.g. specifically selecting the reporter).

jirajester August 25, 2017

AWESOME!!!!!!!! Thank you, exactly what i needed!

2 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 8, 2014

Actually, I think you want this: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Current+Reporter+Browse+Project+Permission

If you just put "browse = reporter" into the permission scheme, it makes ALL issues in the project available to all the users who have create issue.

Stephen Gurnick
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 8, 2014

Thank you, Nic. This is what I ended-up doing. Peter pointed me in the right direction, and you confirmed. Thanks a bunch!

Suggest an answer