Restrict User rights edit summary jira

Hi, Is it possible to restrict other users not to edit the summary field?

4 answers

1 accepted

0 vote

No. Jira doesn't do field-level security.

What you could do is remove the fields you want to protect from the edit and transition screens, put them on their own transition screen, and then create workflow transitions that go through that screen and loop back to the same status in the workflow. You can then put conditions on those "edit" transitions.

If you weren't using OnDemand, you could try the field security or behaviours plugins.

0 vote

No. Jira doesn't do field-level security.

What you could do is remove the fields you want to protect from the edit and transition screens, put them on their own transition screen, and then create workflow transitions that go through that screen and loop back to the same status in the workflow. You can then put conditions on those "edit" transitions.

If you weren't using OnDemand, you could try the field security or behaviours plugins.

I have a similar need. Nic-we are not using OnDemand, and I was wondering if you could provide more info on the Field Security or Behaviours plugins you referenced in this answer. Thanks!

Both are searchable - just look for "Behaviours", or "quisapps" in the marketplace. I've used them both, but I'm not going to pretend I know how they work in any detail.

Behaviours adds a load of options (mostly by javascript if memory serves). You could do a lot of it yourself, but it's a monumental pain - behaviours fixes that by having a decent swathe of reusable functions that you can call in a really easy way, and a stack of admin screens so you don't need to do much in the way of "coding" at all.

Field Security I am even more sketchy on, but I understand it hooks into Jira more deeply than behaviours, and it concentrates highly on field access

Thanks Nic. I work with Jean and have been the one trying to get this working. Behaviors seems to have basically been made obsolete by inline editing. Sometimes it is editable, sometimes it's not, probably due to javascript running/timing. Only consistent thing there is, it removes it from the edit screen...

Will give it a go with Field Security soon

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Wednesday in Jira

Join our webinar: How 1B+ feature flag events helped us build the new Jira

Every time you release software, there's a bit of risk – that there's a bug, that something breaks, or that the feature doesn't resonate with customers. Feature flagging helps make high stakes s...

101 views 0 1
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you