Restoring from a daily back-up / snaphot

Hannah Smith July 24, 2018

I note that Atlassian cloud documentation states that automated daily back-ups are taken from the Amazon RDS. What isn't clear is how we would use this back-up to restore from if there were an issue. I can find details of creating our own offline back-ups in addition to this, but the process for using the automated back-ups to restore from is unclear. Can anyone confirm how we'd go about this? Thanks

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
edwin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 24, 2018

Hi @Hannah Smith,

These can be restored in the admin section of Jira. 

https://<site-name>.atlassian.net/secure/admin/CloudImport!start.jspa

Screen Shot 2018-07-24 at 08.05.04.png

For more information - Importing Issues

Thanks for the reply @edwin...from the documentation it looks like this is only possible if you've already manually created a back-up though? Given it looks like Atlassian automatically create some every 24 hours anyway, it's those I'm looking to restore from (or the process to do this if we needed to for some reason), if, for instance, we haven't completed a recent manual back-up of our own. 

I found the below in the general documentation:

How often is Atlassian Cloud data backed up?

Automated Amazon Relational Database Service (RDS) backups are generated daily and retained for 30 days to allow for point-in-time data restoration. Snapshots of the primary RDS are also taken daily. Copies of the snapshot are sent to a secondary region, where they're kept for 30 days before being deleted. Snapshots and backups are not encrypted.

It's these back-ups i'm wondering how you'd restore from, or is that only possible in a situation where there are larger availability issues with Atlassian cloud as a whole?

Thanks,

edwin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 24, 2018

Screen Shot 2018-07-24 at 10.35.36.png

Create a support ticket and they will get that restored for you.

https://support.atlassian.com/contact/#/

Ah, so simple! Thanks for your help!

Hannah Smith July 27, 2018

Any idea what (if any) the SLA is from Atlassian if you put a request if to restore from their cloud back-ups? Thanks

edwin
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 27, 2018

Not entirely sure, but that depends on the level of impact you select when creating the ticket. Level 1-4.

Suggest an answer