Restoring a saved workflow

Is there an easy way to restore a workflow that was saved while publishing an edited version? I have a workflow I need to restore, but it's part of a fairly large workflow scheme and I dread copying the scheme and reassigning projects just to make a simple restore to one workflow.

1 answer

1 accepted

Hello,

JIRA doesn't let you modify anything in workflow schemes and workflows if they are currently being used in a project. the way I would do it, and so that you can easily go back to your previous setup, is to copy the workflow scheme you want to change the workflow to. The you would delete the current setting to the copy and associate your new workflow/s to you issue types once your workflow scheme is set go to your project admin. and assign your new workflow scheme to your project.

Hope this helps I don't know an easy way to just switch because of JIRA restrictions, and this way you can quickly go back to your previous config.

That's the best way. But it is easy. Since you are copying the original workflow scheme and editing only one of those workflows you can associate the project to that workflow scheme without doing a big migration (only the issue type that it is associate to the edited workflow)

That is how I've managed it in the past. I was hoping there would be an easier way.

Yes, would be nice to be able to go back to previous versions the way Confluence manages pages, but for now I believe this is the only way.

I'm afraid I don't understand the suggested solution. Let's assume I change my "Story Workflow", publish the changed workflow, but then want to go back to the previous version. Here are the steps I seem to have to take: 1) Edit Story Workflow. This creates a draft version of Story Workflow. 2) Publish my draft and respond "Yes" when JIRA asks if I want to backup the current version. This creates "Copy of Story Workflow" in the Inactive section. Now I want to revert. But I don't want my production Story Workflow to be named "Copy of Story Workflow" or worse "Story Workflow 2". So: 3) Migrate everyone to from "Story Workflow" to "Copy of Story Workflow" 4) Delete "Story Workflow" 5) Make a copy of "Copy of Story Workflow" and call it "Story Workflow" 6) Migrate everyone from "Copy of Story Workflow" to "Story Workflow" 7) Delete "Copy of Story Workflow" 8) Go to Step 1 Does anyone have an easier way?

The easier way is called targetprocess

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

2,965 views 12 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot