Restore operation

serge calderara
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 29, 2021

Dear all,

I have read that jira cloud backup are automatically run dayly and keep for 30 days.

When talking about restoring operation, I have few question based on your experience :

Q1 : Does the restore can be done at a given date and time ?

Q2 : When restoring to a certain point does this operation can be done by an admin or do we need to issue a support ticket ?

Q3 : What happen when I need to restore an off line backup, does the restore is selective on what to restore or all existing data will be deleted from backup ?

Thanks for this clarification

regarsd

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 29, 2021

Hi @serge calderara,

Q1: if you want to know if you can schedule a restore operation to run unattended, that is not the case. You start a restore operation manually from the UI;

Q2: you can perform a restore operation from the UI. As an administrator, you can do that from the page <yoursite>.atlassian.net/secure/admin/CloudImport!start.jspa. On that page, you can find links to important documentation you should read before you start any restore.

Screenshot 2021-03-29 at 16.12.03.png

Q3:  a restore operation is not selective, it overwrites your entire system. As the documentation suggests, it is recommended to split your backup in two separate files. One will hold your (full) configuration and is restored to the database. The other holds your attachments that will be restored to the file system. While it is possible to only restore the database or file system files, they will bring your entire system back to the way it was at the time of the backup. Any changes made to configuration or data after the time of backup will be lost.

serge calderara
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 29, 2021

@Walter Buggenhout thanks for your reply

What I mean in Q1 is more like that lets say :

A backup is autimatically made by atlassian dayly at Day 1, Day 2, Day 3

Now if I need to restore at Day 2, will I have the choice to select the proper backup which correspond to Day 2 ?

regards

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 29, 2021

I would assume that only works through a support ticket.

Those backups that are taken automatically are not just available for download for you to restore through the UI.

If you are manually restoring a backup you will need to provide the backup file yourself.

Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 29, 2021

Hi @serge calderara,

The automated daily backups created by Atlassian are not directly available to you. If you need a backup like that, you will need to reach out to Atlassian support. As you probably read in the trust center documentation backups are kept for 30 days indeed and support should be able to retrieve the backup you need. 

serge calderara
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 29, 2021

@Walter Buggenhout  please read carefuly what I mentionnned unless I miss explain. Let me try again.

Lest say Atlassian runs 3 dayly backup file on Day1_bck, Day2_bck and Day3_bkp

Let says that before the end of current month I need to get the Day2-bck restore, then how should I do ?

1 - Can I do it manually myself and at the time of restoring a backup I will be prompt to select the restore file based on Atlassian list avaialable ?

2 - Do I have to ask Atlassian trough a ticket support to send me the Day2_bck file and restore it on my hand

Which solution 1 or 2 ?

regards

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 29, 2021

Quick and easy: 2

But could be that they restore it for you (not sure on that)

Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 29, 2021

Hi @serge calderara,

as I said before: option 2. You cannot access the backups Atlassian creates, so you will need to create a ticket with support, telling them when exactly something went terribly wrong so they know what backup file should be restored. 

serge calderara
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 29, 2021

@Walter Buggenhout great, and in case of emergency restore what is the time to response ticket from Atlassian in that case, any idea ?

We have customer worldwilde using our instance and in case it happen restore should be done fast

Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 29, 2021

Response times are linked to your cloud plan, @serge calderara. Have a look at this summary

Like Dirk Ronsmans likes this
1 vote
Vish Reddy _Revyz_
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 4, 2022

Hi @serge calderara 

Once you delete something in Jira you have lost that data forever be it issues, attachments or any of the configuration objects.

Thats what inspired us at Revyz to build an app for simplifying backing up your cloud Jira instance which includes issues, attachments, comments, configuration objects and more.

Please visit our market place page to see all things we can help you with protecting your data in your Jira cloud instance - Revyz Backup & Restore 

Additional information is also available at - Revyz Backup & Restore for Jira Software Cloud

Also note Atlassian recommends that you backup your data per the SaaS Shared responsibilities 

I would love to get your feedback on what we are doing and how to improve given an opportunity.

Thank you

Vish

Reference -

Atlassian, Customer Shared Responsibilities - Very good reference doc

Atlassian Security Practices - An excellent reference of Atlassian Security practices

1 vote
Vish August 23, 2021

Hello,

I am new to Jira administration, I am trying to summarize the back and restore process as I have understood it after reading through the forum here:

1. Export the Jira Issues etc.. as documented here: https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/export-issues/
This step creates a zip file which contains:
JIRA-backup.zip
├── activeobjects.xml
├── entities.xml
├── data
│ ├── attachments
│ └── avatars
└── logos

2. Restoration occurs in two steps:
2.1 Separate out the JIRA-backup.zip to two zip files:
JIRA-backup-1.zip
├── activeobjects.xml
└── entities.xml

JIRA-backup-2.zip
├── data
│ ├── attachments
│ └── avatars
└── logos

2.2 Upload the two zip files using the import interface

Caveats:
a. The total size of the .xml files should be less than or equal to 10 GB before zipping and importing the file. To import larger files, contact support.
b. If your media file is greater than 10 GB, split it into smaller (2 - 5 GB) files and import each separately.

Questions:

1. Are the above steps correct?
2. In the import interface I see only one dialog box for importing any of the files, does Jira automatically figure out what to do with the archive file that is presented? i.e.
JIRA-backup-1.zip vs. JIRA-backup-2.zip
3. Given that there are size limitations, there could be multiple zip files, will Jira know what to do in those circumstances?

4. Does the activeobjects.xml & entities.xml capture all the various types of Jira objects, i.e. workflows, dashboards, issues etc..

Thank you for your guidance on this topic.

0 votes
Danny Grenzowski _Rewind_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 6, 2021

Hi @serge calderara , we're working on an automated backup and restore product for Jira Cloud here at Rewind.

Rewind for Jira Cloud will automate the backups of your Jira Cloud projects and allow on-demand restores to any previous version, which I believe is what you are looking for.

If you are interested, let me know! I'd love to hear more about your use case and what you'd like to see in the product.

Thanks,

Danny

Suggest an answer