Restart TOMCAT 6 on Windows 7

J Larkin September 5, 2012

Hi , I am working with Jira 'PDF Viewer' and editing templates. I need to restart tomcat6 regularly, without rebooting my machine.

I have seen numerous articles about doing it, but they all assume some prior understaning i do not have.

does anyone know a step by step process for a dummy to restart tomcat6 (or whatever webservice is supporting my Jira 5.1 install?

any help much appreciated. thanks James

4 answers

0 votes
james larkin October 22, 2012

for the life of me, i can't see how to 'Close' or otherwise final this question --but you can consider it closed.

0 votes
james larkin October 17, 2012

The documented approach did not work. Midori provided me with a custom velocity.properties file which did the job.

Midori
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 18, 2012

The documentation has been updated since then!

Now the appropriate item in the FAQ explains turning off the cache for JIRA 3.x / 4.x and 5.x separately.

Read it here

0 votes
Midori
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 10, 2012

You don't need to constantly restart Tomcat while working on template for the JIRA PDF View Plugin. This is unproductive, time consuming (and annoying :-)).

Instead, we suggest you turn off the caching of templates for the development time. If you do this, all change you make in your templates (and scripts) will be immediately visible!

Disabling caching is rather simple, see item 4 in the FAQ: https://studio.plugins.atlassian.com/wiki/x/9YC0Aw

After you completed your development work, we suggest turning on the caching again.

0 votes
Harry Chan
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 5, 2012

Hi, have you installed this as a service? If so you simply restart the Tomcat service in Windows' list of services.

Otherwise, you can go to your tomcat installation directory, go to the bin directory run stop and then run start after it has properly stopped.

J Larkin September 5, 2012

Hi, the only service i can find is 'Atlassian JIRA' --no mention of apacghe or tomcat. if i stop this from windows service util, i msg that stopping failed. then when i restart the service, i find Jira is locked and wont start.

tomcat was installed with JIRA, the exe is here

C:\Program Files\Atlassian\JIRA\bin\tomcat6.exe,

or is it

C:\Program Files\Atlassian\JIRA\bin\tomcat6w.exe

?

But the only stop/start scripts here are for Jira (stop-jira.bat, start-jira.bat) and i stop and start JIRA with those, i get same JIRA is locked error.

Harry Chan
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 5, 2012

Hi, Atlassian JIRA is the service running then. That is JIRA inside Tomcat. It'd check the logs and other places to investigate why you can't stop the service and check any configurations related to it.

Suggest an answer