Rest API Issue - related to Failure Criteria , Additional Details and Custom Fields

padmabhushan Reddy
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
October 18, 2019

Hi All ,

can some one help . how to override the screen whether the field was there or not the value should set ?

I am working on integration :  i am getting this error "customfield_10303" cannot be set . it is not on the appropriate screen or unknow" .

What i am doing and why i am getting this error :

through rest api . i am creating a story . when i am creating a story i want to send failure criteria data to jira .

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 28, 2019

Hi Padmabhushan,

I understand that you are getting this error when trying to create an issue via the REST API in Jira.  This error tends to happen because one or more of the fields you are trying to define in your REST payload does not actually exist on the create issue screen for this issuetype in this project.  Our documentation on Defining a screen explains when you can find issue fields on a screen:

For example, on the Create Issue dialog box, users will only see issue fields that:

1. are present on the screen associated with the issue's Create Issue issue operation
  2. are also not hidden in the field configuration applicable to the issue (as defined by the project's field configuration scheme)
  3. the user has permission to edit (e.g. the Due Date field can only be edited by users with the Schedule Issues project permission)

In those cases the clearest way forward is to simply add that custom field to the create screen for this issue type.

To the best of my knowledge the REST API for Jira Server and Jira Cloud do not have any means to simply override these screen/field configuration settings within a project.  If the field already exists on this create screen, then it is also possible that this error can be generated because the user account making the REST API call does not have permissions to create issues in this project.  In which case, you would want to make sure that your account has the create issue permission for this project.

On a side note, there are other related threads to this error message in Community that might also be of benefit to you here.  Such as,

I hope this helps. 

Andy

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events