Resolution is Fixed by default when creating new issues

When I create a new issue from for a project, the issue by default as a resolution of 'Fixed'. How do I change that to Unresolved. Not sure if this is related to another issue or not, but I also keep having issues getting a resolved date when they're not closed, or once they're reopened. It's a huge pain because though I have 100+ tickets outstanding, looking at the JIRA dashboard only shows 7 because it's somehow filtering out the tickets with a resolved date. Note: this is the resolved date. The resolution can be set to 'Unresolved' but it doesn't change the resolved date.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 vote

Ethan,

It seems to me there's a post-function in the 'Create Issue' transition of the workflow being used by this project - see Editing the Workflow Transition for Issue Creation.

This may be related to the second problem you described - the 'Resolved Date' is set when the resolution of the issue is changed instead of when the issue arrives at a certain status.

I hope this helps! :)

Thanks for the quick response Matheus. I did indeed have a post-function where I was forcing the Resoution to unresolved, not thinking that it would result in setting a resoution date. If only I could clear that phoney date now.

You can possibly use a transition that has a post function to clear the resoltion, I think. :)

0 vote

I think you have two problems here

• You need to remove the "resolution" field from the Create (and probably Edit) screens. If it's on any form of data-entry screen, it gets set. You should only have the field on *transition* screens on transitions that are intended to "close" the issue
  • "The resolution can be set to 'unresolved'" implies that someone has added a resolution called "unresolved" to the list of options. You need to remove that IMMEDIATELY, it's wrong, and it's breaking your data. You'll need to do the line above, and then retrospectively fix your old data, but you must remove "unresolved" as an otion

Thanks for the quick reply Nic. I'm using the brower version of JIRA and in the View REsolutions menu under the Project's Admin section, there is no 'Unresolved' option, so that appears to be a default value, not one I created.

I've removed the field form the Create screen (only one that had it). I was thrown because it looked like I was using the default screen. In my workflow, I have a few Post functions that set the resolution to 'Unresolved' because i was trying to force it to work. Could this be what's automatically causing the Resolved date to be populated? Any way to clear that value since it truly hasn't been resolved? I saw on some posts a way to do it using SQL but I'm assuming that's only for users with a native install of JIRA.

I cna't see how you're doing that. If your post-functions are setting the resolution to "unresolved", then it must be on the list of options. But that could be the post-function if you're using a plugin I'm not familiar with. I've always used the Jira internal one that "sets field value to <none>" or "clear resolution".

The resolved date is set to the date/time that you last put anything into the resolution. The way to fix it is to clear out the resolution in full.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,316 views 14 20
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot