Resolution is Fixed by default when creating new issues

Ethan Brown July 9, 2014

When I create a new issue from for a project, the issue by default as a resolution of 'Fixed'. How do I change that to Unresolved. Not sure if this is related to another issue or not, but I also keep having issues getting a resolved date when they're not closed, or once they're reopened. It's a huge pain because though I have 100+ tickets outstanding, looking at the JIRA dashboard only shows 7 because it's somehow filtering out the tickets with a resolved date. Note: this is the resolved date. The resolution can be set to 'Unresolved' but it doesn't change the resolved date.

5 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 9, 2014

I think you have two problems here

• You need to remove the "resolution" field from the Create (and probably Edit) screens. If it's on any form of data-entry screen, it gets set. You should only have the field on *transition* screens on transitions that are intended to "close" the issue
  • "The resolution can be set to 'unresolved'" implies that someone has added a resolution called "unresolved" to the list of options. You need to remove that IMMEDIATELY, it's wrong, and it's breaking your data. You'll need to do the line above, and then retrospectively fix your old data, but you must remove "unresolved" as an otion
Ethan Brown July 9, 2014

Thanks for the quick reply Nic. I'm using the brower version of JIRA and in the View REsolutions menu under the Project's Admin section, there is no 'Unresolved' option, so that appears to be a default value, not one I created.

I've removed the field form the Create screen (only one that had it). I was thrown because it looked like I was using the default screen. In my workflow, I have a few Post functions that set the resolution to 'Unresolved' because i was trying to force it to work. Could this be what's automatically causing the Resolved date to be populated? Any way to clear that value since it truly hasn't been resolved? I saw on some posts a way to do it using SQL but I'm assuming that's only for users with a native install of JIRA.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 9, 2014

I cna't see how you're doing that. If your post-functions are setting the resolution to "unresolved", then it must be on the list of options. But that could be the post-function if you're using a plugin I'm not familiar with. I've always used the Jira internal one that "sets field value to <none>" or "clear resolution".

The resolved date is set to the date/time that you last put anything into the resolution. The way to fix it is to clear out the resolution in full.

Like StephanieC likes this
StephanieC January 16, 2020

Nic Brough to the rescue once again! I had the resolution field visible on a tab in a screen and it was resolving tickets from that screen scheme to "Fixed" as soon as they opened! 

Hopefully this is the only re-work Ill need to do. Luckily it was just in our JIRA Maintenance project and not a production project. 

0 votes
Answer accepted
Matheus Fernandes
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 9, 2014

Ethan,

It seems to me there's a post-function in the 'Create Issue' transition of the workflow being used by this project - see Editing the Workflow Transition for Issue Creation.

This may be related to the second problem you described - the 'Resolved Date' is set when the resolution of the issue is changed instead of when the issue arrives at a certain status.

I hope this helps! :)

Ethan Brown July 9, 2014

Thanks for the quick response Matheus. I did indeed have a post-function where I was forcing the Resoution to unresolved, not thinking that it would result in setting a resoution date. If only I could clear that phoney date now.

Matheus Fernandes
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 10, 2014

You can possibly use a transition that has a post function to clear the resoltion, I think. :)

0 votes
Charm Torres December 14, 2020

I have encountered the same problem. I did not do anything in the workflow.

I just removed the Resolution field from Create Issue Screen.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 15, 2020

As stated in one of the answers from six years ago...

0 votes
mohail bakhtiar March 17, 2020

hey ,

same similar problem with me,i had added post function as cleared or none. but this configuration and setting resolution configuration, my tickets are getting messed, ticket are lying in QC and in progress column but its shows done resolution, it create difficulty in exporting csv through sprint wise, some task which is done it will show in a to do column in csv.how to solve it please guide

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 16, 2020

I think you may have put the "post function as cleared or none" in the wrong place.  That post-function needs to be used on every transition out of "done" type status (i.e. the ones that should be in the "closed" status category and in the last column on boards)

0 votes
Deleted user December 20, 2018

The same issue I'm facing 

I have to set resolution field as "unresolved" while creating issue in post function.

but still i see "fixed" while creating issue. please help how to change the field value. attached the imge.

Selection_254.pngSelection_253.png

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 20, 2018

I am sorry to have to say you have made a total mess of your configuration here.

To start to fix this:

• Remove the "unresolved" resolution from the list of resolutions immediately, or at least rename it to "do not use this"
  • Delete that post-function from your workflow
  • Remove the resolution from all screens, except the "resolve issue" transition screen

You should NEVER have a resolution that means "unresolved".  Unresolved is indicated by the field being empty, not set to a value.  You should NEVER put the resolution on a screen that is used for create or edit.

StephanieC January 16, 2020

Nic - do these Properties do anything specific? Ive never noticed them on other workflows...I thought this might be what was resolving new tickets, since these properties arent in any of our other workflows: 

weirdproperiies.png

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 19, 2020

Those two are translations. 

Properties can, in some places, change the list of resolutions offered (shortening the list), but they do not set them.

Like StephanieC likes this

Suggest an answer